Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
adamfindlay
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Adam Findlay

Wasabi Object Lock Issues

Post by adamfindlay »

Hi, I have been implementing some object storage to Wasabi on a B&R server. I have the capacity tier set to "Copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created".

I have a backup job with a 30 day retention configured to back up to this repository.

At first when the job ran obviously it took ages to offload all the data as there was around 2TB.

My main goal for this was to have the backup immutable as thats really my only benefit from using object storage as I have plenty of on premise repositories. I did not know at this stage that Wasabi doesn't properly support the object lock function that Veeam uses. When I figured this out I tried enabling compliance lock on the bucket in Wasabi as per their supports request. This started causing all my offload jobs to fail. They suggested I enable versioning which I thought had fixed the issue as it got rid of the errors saying files couldn't be modified. however I have noticed that my offload job is just transferring ridiculous amounts of data. It feels like its sending an active full every time the offload job runs which is going to cost a fortune in storage! Im wondering if this is because the compliance lock is enabled it cant we-write the backup files to add another increment in to the object storage so its just sending the whole back again every day.

What do you think? Am I fighting a losing battle trying to get this working with Wasabi. And would it work properly with incrementals if I was to use S3 and the proper object lock that Veeam supports?

thanks

Adam
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: Wasabi Object Lock Issues

Post by dalbertson »

Wasabi doesn’t currently have object lock. They have bucket level locking. We do not support this. Wasabi is working on object lock capabilities but there isn’t an ETA
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
adamfindlay
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Adam Findlay

Post by adamfindlay »

Yeah ive seen that they are working on it. I might have to abandon them then and move to S3 if that will work properly with incrementals and object lock.
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Post by dalbertson » 1 person likes this post

S3 works as designed. You should have no issues there.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
klin8251
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Peter Klingler

Post by klin8251 » 3 people like this post

Wasabi stated on online chat that they expect Veeam supported object-lock to be available Q3 (early fall).