Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
atakacs
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Alexandre Takacs

Backup fails with error Failed to process method {NasMaster.SaveSourceBackupMeta}

Post by atakacs »

Well the title says it all.

This a small (community) VBR setup what was working just fine. A HyperV host backed up to local storage and SMB NAS.

For some reason, the NAS destination does not work anymore. Some log extract:

Code: Select all

Failed to perform transforming backup data Error: Agent: Failed to process method {NasMaster.SaveSourceBackupMeta}: File is already exist Failed to create file [\\172.16.200.253\Backup\Neuchatel\File Backup Common Share (Copy) 1_1\e495ebfc25b54b08a036c584af6a71cd\e495ebfc25b54b08a036c584af6a71cd_8FCC.vsource]
Failed to process NAS backup copy task Error: Agent: Failed to process method {NasMaster.SaveSourceBackupMeta}: File is already exist
Not exactly sure what is the problem.

The non-existent support ticket ID is 04166990 (I fully understand that you can't support free products, but the requirement to open a case just to have the chance to possibly get some help here is rather upsetting).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Backup fails with error Failed to process method {NasMaster.SaveSourceBackupMeta}

Post by Gostev »

Thanks for following the forum rules! I can see your ticket in the system, so it does exist :D

Actually, you CAN get help and support on technical issues with free products, just not through the forum posts. While opening a support case on the other hand does give you a chance to get support. So, please don't be upset with this requirement.

Unfortunately though, right now the load on support is quite high, with a bit more cases being opened every week than they are able to close - as expected with all the upgrades following a major release. So, our support engineers are not picking up too many cases from the free queue at this time, as the priority is given to paying customers. This situation should improve into summer months.
atakacs
Enthusiast

Re: Backup fails with error Failed to process method {NasMaster.SaveSourceBackupMeta}

Post by atakacs »

Thanks for reaching out. I understand that these are trying times for everyone.

My ticket was indeed not processed support wise and apparently no one had anything to propose here. Strangely enough, my backup does work from time to time (one of every five executions or so). There is clearly something here that I don't fully understand.

As it is a very small setup I will use some competing (paid for) product - your "entry point" is too high for that kind of workload (I use and pay for Veeam in other locations and I'm quite happy with both the product and support, just that for that use case it is not a good fit).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Well, our "entry point" aka Veeam Backup Starter is just USD 400/yr... is it really too high?
atakacs
Enthusiast

Post by atakacs »

For that kind of private lab / no critical setup yes :)

I spend (or let's be honest, am responsible) for over 20k$/y of Veeam sales and overall very happy with the product. But it is not the right tool here ! No problem.

Maybe you should consider per-incident support ? But again this is mostly a hobby / experimental system. Probably outside your scope.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I see, and agree - for a private lab, this is hard to justify.

Regarding per-incident support... if we were to provide one at $200 per case, you probably would not be ready to pay for this environment either? While this is already 50% less than what VMware charges, for example (despite having support stationed in cheaper locations comparing to Veeam).