Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
bzabber
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bryan

What are VM Workflows?

Post by bzabber »

Hi all,

I'm looking at the Veeam Sizing Excel spreadsheet to help a customer size a new SCOM environment and I'm curious what the feature impact is of disabling VM Workflows in the MP. What is gained or lost with having it enabled or disabled?

Thank you in advance,
Bryan
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: What are VM Workflows?

Post by wishr »

Hi Bryan,

When you disable a certain rule or a monitor targeting a VM or any other object the number of associated workflows being processed by SCOM and Veeam MP components is decreased. This may help to decrease the load on both SCOM and MP components at the cost of losing a feature e.g. rule or a monitor for processing the associated objects, for example, VMs for which you have disabled it. This approach is useful when you do not need a certain monitoring capability and would like to decrease the load on the monitoring infrastructure components.

This can be done either manually by disabling certain rules and monitors you do not need or semi-automatically by importing the Disable All VM Workflows management pack which is a part of the Resource Kit provided along with MP ISO image.

You may open this management pack with any text editor and see what are the rules and monitors that will be overwritten using SCOM overrides and other useful information.

I hope it helps. Thanks.