Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
lukep
Lurker
Liked: never

Recovery media won't start bare metal recovery

Post by lukep »

Hi,
I use the program on one of my computer a for testing purposes. At the moment, this computer started to break down and I wanted to restore this computer as a hyper-v guest system using the recovery media iso file. However, the recovery media is booting something about 10 minutes. Then recovery environment is starting next 5-10 minutes.
When the recovery media is running I'm entering the bare metal recovery option. But it won't starts and on the screen I get the error like below: Veeam Agent For Microsoft Windows Server 'localhost' does not exist or access denied. Check firewall settings. Call was canceled with the message filter. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010002 (RPC_E_CALL_CANCELED))

I send this to Veeam Support with case number: 04170449 - but I did not get any answer.

Can I do anything with this issue to fix it ?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Recovery media won't start bare metal recovery

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Lukep,
most likely it is due to HV networking settings. Anyhow, there is an option to restore as Hyper-V VM from within Veeam Backup and Replication - you can use free community edition to do so. That will convert existing Windows-based agent backup into HV VM without Recovery Media.
/Cheers!
jelsantos
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: José Santos

Error - Bare Metal Recovery

Post by jelsantos »

Hi,

After reboot the computer with the recovery media and choose "Bare Metal Recovery" I get this error:
Server 'localhost' does not exist or access denied. Check firewall settings. Call was cancelled by the message filter. (Execption from HRESULT:0x800100002 (RPC_E_CALL_CANCELED))

I don't understand why this error.
The destination computer has a "fresh" windows 10 installation.
Thanks,
José Santos
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi José,

moved your post to the existing thread to keep similar errors together.
Please provide a support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic.

Thanks!
denser
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by denser »

I get same issue while creating media for Windows server 2019 vl in VBR 11.0. And get win it. Try to explain what to do...

Booted veeeery long time for error. Then in cmd start taskmgr. Then start several network services and maybe more important wmiAppSrv. Then started X:\veeamrecovery\veeam.endpoint.recovery.exe
Wait a bit and get interface for "baremetal recovery" option. And now getting Recovering))

Btw. Network was good, checked via run notepad and then UNC path to server.

Good Luck!
Nils
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Nils Petersen

Post by Nils »

I've had quite a bit of fun with various USB sticks. Make sure you use a quality stick that hasn't been used too much previously.

I generally create recovery media as ISOs and just write them to stick when I need them - much faster to update and much more reliable.