Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast
Liked: never

U-AIR ?

Post by Wad4iPod »

Greetings,

I have some questions regarding U-AIR.

In SBS 2003>2011 environments I find using BUR application w/o Enterprise manager to work well.

Do I need to create an Application Group and use SureBackup job to use U-AIR in these environments?

If there's information specifically to this in the documentation please point me to the page/section.

If I do create an application group and perform U-Air - how does the object (email, etc) I'm restoring get from the Virual Lab to the production lab given they're the same DC and name?

Thanks,
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast

Re: U-AIR ?

Post by Wad4iPod »

I think I found the Virtual Lab information on page 109 of the latest 5.0.2 user guide:
To enable communication between an outer world and VMs and the virtual lab, Veeam Backup & Replication uses a proxy appliance that is created and registered in the folder and resource pool of the virtual lab. This proxy appliance is a VM that acts as a gateway routing requests from the production network to the isolated network.
To connect to isolated networks, Veeam Backup & Replication adds to the proxy appliance a vNIC adapter for each network. Each vNIC adapter gets an IP address from the network to which it is connected, which is typically the same as the IP address of a default gateway in the corresponding production network.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct.

In addition to that, here is a our sticky F.A.Q. that describes U-AIR workflow in details: [FAQ] v5 : Frequently Asked Questions > Answers
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast

Post by Wad4iPod »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Yes, that's correct.

In addition to that, here is a our sticky F.A.Q. that describes U-AIR workflow in details: [FAQ] v5 : Frequently Asked Questions > Answers

Thank you that's very helpful.

Additionally,

- I have use VMBR Std v5 and upgraded to Enterprise - Do I now need to create new SureBackup jobs, or can I tie my existing jobs to surebackup? If I create new SB jobs should I disable the old backup jobs?

- With Instant recovery - the VM started in a 'memory space'. With Surebackup does the virtual lab work in the same way or does it actually use datastore space?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Sorry, don't understand most of the questions. Have you read up on SureBackup in FAQ and User Guide

What was not clear in your questions:

1. Standard Edition does not allow for creating SureBackup jobs, so not sure I follow how you could have the SureBackup jobs before?

2. Don't understand why you think that creating new SureBackup jobs require disabling old backup jobs? These are two absolutely different types of jobs, creating one does not affect another.

3. What do you mean by "memory space"? Both Instant VM Recovery and SureBackup use disk to store VM changes generated by running VM.
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast

Post by Wad4iPod »

Hi Gostev,

1 - I did not use SB previous.

2 - Sounds like they're independent so I need to create new SB jobs. I would assume they cannot overlap in there run/processing/backup?

3- The the VM runs in Memory Space (Directly from the Backup file) and the changes are what is stored writtent to in the Virtual Lab datastore? I want to be aware of any datastore (available) space impact this may have-if any.

Thank you very much.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

2. Correct. SureBackup job will wait for some time for dependent Backup jobs to complete. There is the corresponding scheduling setting in SureBackup job.
3. Correct, changes are stored in virtual lab datastore. And as soon as SureBackup job is shutdown, the change data is removed from the selected datastore.
Thanks!
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast

Post by Wad4iPod »

Since I'm migrating from Std w/o SB - does it make sense to phase out the Stb Backup jobs in lieu of the SB jobs?
The changes (typically occupying datastore space)for a sureback verify would be small-if any?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Reading through my response above, Backup jobs and SureBackup jobs are the two absolutely different type of jobs with different purposes. You do not phase out one over another.
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast

Post by Wad4iPod »

OK. Think got it.
They're both BACKUP jobs correct?

A sure backup job creates it's own .vbk or vrb ?
Thanks for your patience..
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, SureBackup job is not similar to a backup job, these jobs are completely different things.

Please review our sticky F.A.Q about SureBackup jobs where you can find recorded webinars as well as the explanation of the SureBackup job.