Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marieelieg
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Veeam Backup Proxy Integration with Nimble Storage

Post by marieelieg »

Hello experts,

I am building a lab environment with Veeam (v10) and Nimble storage with VMware. I have 2 VMware ESXi hosts connected to a vCenter server (VMware version is 6.0). The ESXi hosts are connected to the Nimble storage using fibre. 2 LUNs were created on Nimble and were presented to VMware. From VMware side, 2 datastores were then created for those LUNs, 1 to store the VMs (NimbleVMs) and 1 created as Veeam repository (NimbleRepo).

A windows VM was then created on NimbleVMs datastore to act as Veeam proxy for the backups from Storage Snapshots. I have configured the transport mode as "Automatic". I also added the Nimble storage as new Storage Server to use the aforementioned proxy.

Whenever I run a backup using Storage Snapshots, I get the below error:
"Task failed. Error: Cannot find suitable proxy for retrieving data from storage snapshot, and the option to failover to backup from VM snapshot is disabled".

I want to test the backup from storage snapshot feature, hence the failover to backup from VM snapshot is disabled. I understand I'm missing something on the proxy side but I can't find any clear requirements for it.

Can the proxy handling the storage snapshots be a VM? or does it have to be a physical server?
Also, can it be done via Network or HotAdd Transport modes? or does it have to be via fibre or iSCSI connection?

Finally, a clear list of proxy requirement/pre-requisites for storage snapshots would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance and have a nice day.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Backup Proxy Integration with Nimble Storage

Post by foggy »

Please find the clear list of proxy requirements for backup from storage snapshots in this user guide section.

Using VM as a proxy doesn't make much sense in this case as you're losing the benefits of direct connection to the storage. Also, I'd warn you from storing backups on the same storage as the production VMs - in case of any issue with the storage, you'll lose the backups as well.

Thanks!
marieelieg
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Post by marieelieg »

Hi foggy,

Thanks for the link. Based on it, it has to be "Direct Storage Access"? "HotAdd" or "Network" transport modes won't work?

Also, can the proxy server be a VM? or does it have to be a physical server?

Thanking you in advance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If you're asking about the transport mode specified in the proxy server settings, then it must be set to either Automatic or Direct storage access. Please make sure other requirements mentioned on this page are also met. Please see my previous post for the answer regarding using virtual proxies.