Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
khan_cloud
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Israr Khan

Configure Object Storage for Office 365 backups

Post by khan_cloud »

We are a Cloud Service provider and have underline VMFS storage which we wish to use as Object Storage for Office 365 backups. The plan is to configure Veeam for Office 365 as a virtual machine on VMware and use 3 SOBR windows 2019 servers as repositories for the Office 365 storage.

I have read a lots about using Amazon S3 or Azure storage but as we have spare vmfs storage plan is to utilise the storage for Office 365 backups.

Any thoughts
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Configure Object Storage for Office 365 backups

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey,

Repositories for Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 are not the same as those for Veeam Backup & Replication. If you are not going to use Object Storage repositories, then your repositories will be live running databases and not every storage is suitable for that. So you certainly cannot reuse VBR repositories, but if you can configure this as SAN storage or local storage for your VM, then it should not be an issue. The below are supported:

A local directory on a backup proxy server.
Direct Attached Storage (DAS) connected to the backup proxy server.
Storage Area Network (SAN). A backup server must be connected to the SAN fabric via hardware, virtual HBA or software iSCSI initiator.
Network Attached Storage (SMB 3.0 shares).

For more info: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=40

My suggestion, I would create a virtual disk on the spare storage and attach it to the VM
khan_cloud
Novice

Post by khan_cloud »

Yes , I agree this the reposirty will be SOBR extent 3 VM's running 2019 as direct attach storage DISK 2 : 1TB each with RefS filesystem.
What I read was for the O365 backups object storage is preferred over file level storage.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Using object storage has certain advantages. In a cloud it becomes virtually unlimited in growth for example. There is also better compression. But if you have spare storage, I won't be the one telling you not to use it ;-)
khan_cloud
Novice

Post by khan_cloud »

Thanks what will you advise if we plan to use object storage on Windows Server 2019 with RefS
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

If you want to use object storage you will need to have S3 compatible. We do have certain partners that are advised. See here for more information: object-storage-f52/unoffizial-compatibi ... 56956.html
khan_cloud
Novice

Post by khan_cloud »

Thanks this answers my query
RajeshZadara
Lurker

Post by RajeshZadara »

Hi Khan ,

Hope you are doing good.
VBO (Veeam backup for office365 ) works very well with S3 compatible Object storage.The key element which you need to consider that the data "immutability " .
backup the VBO machine using VBR ( Veeam backup & recovery) to create a Scaleout backup repository with Data Immutability . This data immutability protects your data from Ransomeware attacks. how it works ? first backups are sent to S3 object storage then backups become Read-only ,Usually Ransomeware encryption requires write . this way it protects from Ransomware attacks. backup remain locked until retention expires. so you have to consider these key capabilities when you choose the S3 compatible object storage . In the market, few storage vendors are compatible with Veeam immutability .
Please Refer here for more information ,

https://www.veeam.com/kb3118
object-storage-f52/veeam-v10-sobr-with- ... 66120.html