Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
marcosmessias
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marcos Messias

[Feature Request] Granular Backup in Public Folders

Post by marcosmessias » 1 person likes this post

Hello everyone,

We have a client that uses Office 365 Public Folders with a lot of emails, appointments, notes and uses it to share with other O365 Users in the company.

They have 5 public mailboxes (1 primary and 4 secondary) and each one have a lot of folders.

When we try to backup with VBO365 we can't create exclusions or specify one or more public mailboxes, only the primary mailbox with everything in it.

It would be nice to see the subtree and specify the "Secondary PF Mailboxes" or just the folders that we want to backup, this way we can create distinct jobs with different folders, RPOs and maybe improve backup window for this use case.

Thank you,
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: [Feature Request] Granular Backup in Public Folders

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Marcos,

Noted, but I'm afraid not possible at the moment. We are limited in how we can get information from a public folder, as you wrote yourself above. We can only connect to the primary mailbox. And since public folders have been called end of life many times already (by Microsoft), I doubt they will want to add additional work to it and provide more granular access...
marcosmessias
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marcos Messias

Post by marcosmessias »

Thank you Mike,

Yes, we heard that Microsoft is trying to remove Public Folders, but at the moment I couldn’t find an official article confirming this. The only article that I’ve found was this one answering that "the Public Folder won't go away": https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchan ... erver-2019

:D

I believe that Microsoft saw that many companies are using Public Folders and decided to keep this feature "alive".

Anyway, I’ve raised this question because, at the moment, our client uses another solution to backup O365 and this solution can specify subfolders. :/

He tested VBR and saw how powerfull the solution is and wanted to see VBO365 in action too. The only downside was this feature.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Marcos,

Thanks for these details, we'll look into it again. Things change fast and we might have missed some updates )