Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ajped
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Antonio

VMware Backup with Include only the following files and folders

Post by ajped »

Hello,
I have executed a VMware Backup job and I have selected only a virtual disk of the VM. Besides, in the Applications-Aware Processing Options -> "Include only the following files and folders", I have chosen a folder of the Guest VM (the total size of this folder is 600 GB). However, the size of the Backup is the same as the virtual disk of the VM (4 TB), It has taken several hours and It contains all the content of the virtual disk. I didn't understand why but I finally realized that I had typed incorrectly the path of the only folder that I wanted to include. Could be the wrong path the reason why the full disk has been backed up?

On another hand, If I want to include only a folder or serveral folders in a backup job, What is the best choice: Using the VMware Backup job or using the Windows Agent Backup?

Thank you!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: VMware Backup with Include only the following files and folders

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Antonio,
Yes, Veeam Agent will handle granular in-guest backup best.
Include\Exclude option for image-level VM backup is useful for a small amount of huge files(like skip test\dev SQL databases) and is not meant to be used for granular in-guest backup.
/Cheers!
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: VMware Backup with Include only the following files and folders

Post by jmmarton » 2 people like this post

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add that the "NAS backup" feature we added in v10 is a great fit for backing up specific file content even if they're hosted on Windows/Linux VMs.

Joe