Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
BigKetchup
Novice
Liked: never

Simulate a recovery

Post by BigKetchup »

Is there any recommended way to simulate a recovery and test the recovered files against what is currently available? I was thinking maybe an MD5 checksum done on a large scale that will report any anomalies.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2880 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Simulate a recovery

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
instant recovery (to VMware or Hyper-V for Veeam) or any other full recovery is the best practice with every backup (no matter which vendor). The "light version" would be automated file restores.

checksums do not test any restore. they just ensure that the backup has not changed. I would prefer health checks over manual checksum operations: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=40

Best regards,
Hannes
BigKetchup
Novice
Liked: never

Post by BigKetchup »

Thank you. I didn't know about that feature. How come it's not enabled by default? I can't think of any reasons I would run a full back, say, on a Saturday, and then do a health check on a Sunday when the office is closed.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2880 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

How come it's not enabled by default?
because it causes a lot of IO operations. Many customers use backup storage systems that are too slow for regular health check. Enabling this per default would probably overload Veeam support :-)