Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jakefoster
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jake Foster

Where to implement encryption?

Post by jakefoster »

Afternoon All,

Quick (i hope) question on encryption please. So, you can enable encryption on the backup job, the backup copy job, and then also on the SOBR itself. It i need to encrypt everything on premise, then i set encryption on the backup job, if i need to ensure that the data is still encrypted for the copy job, i enable that as well (on the backup copy job configuration)

I'm looking to offload to an Azure capacity tier, but ensure the data is encrypted there - is it best to set this on the SOBR itself (under access permissions -> Encrypt backups storage in this repository) or, on the capacity tier configuration of the SOBR -> encrypt data uploaded to object store?

Thanks in advance,
J.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Where to implement encryption?

Post by Gostev »

Hello Jake, this makes no difference from security perspective. Just think about how you want your on-prem backups to be stored (encrypted or not), and go from there. By the way, for on-prem backups, encryption is enabled in the backup job settings, not where you said above (that setting is used for unmanaged standalone agents only). Thanks!
jakefoster
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jake Foster

Post by jakefoster »

Thanks for the answer - basically i need it encrypted everywhere :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Then, enable encypriprtion in job settings of backup and backup copy job. When time comes, those backups will be offloaded to object storage in encrypted state.

So, there's no need to enable anything in object storage repository settings, or in backup repository settings (those settings are even irrelevant, as Anton's stated above).

Thanks!