Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jamcool
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jason Mount

Recovery Media missing drivers

Post by jamcool »

I am testing our recovery with Veeam and having an issue.

When I boot up via recovery media for a Bare Metal restore from VBR, the SAS disk controller (VMWARE Paravirtual) and Network drivers (VMXNET3) are not loading. I do see the option to load them from external media (have not tried mounting VM tools ISO to do this). I thought recovery media was supposed to include the drivers for disk controller and network for that server? Do I have to manually load these drivers from VM tools ISO?

Here is my setup

Windows 2016 server with Windows agent 3.02.1170 (trying to restore)
Veeam Server manages the agent in a protection group.
Veeam version is 9.5.4.2866

The Windows 2016 server is running on VMWARE ESXi 6.7 host with hardware level set to 15 and latest VM tools. The VM cannot be snap so using the agent. We backup only C, E, I and J drive letters.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Recovery Media missing drivers

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I run a pretty similar setup in my lab and the drivers are included.

What is your support case number? If you don't have a support case number, then please open a case.

Best regards,
Hannes
jamcool
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jason Mount

Post by jamcool »

After working on it for a bit, discovered that the drivers for the Paravirtual SCSI driver and VMXNET3 NIC just had click on install. I had not run into this issue doing physical servers so was just a bit caught off guard having to manually install drivers. :). Also on side note, I had removed USB 3.0 controller on my VM and this had prevented the mouse from working on recovery media. Do not remove USB 3.0 controller. I have removed it in Windows with no issue so must be something with recovery media. I can live with this extra few steps for the few VMs I am using agent due snapshot issue with SQL Alwayson clusters.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Jason.
Interesting case with removed USB Drivers! Will check and add as a feature request for improvement if it confirms.
Thanks!