Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mrholm
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mats Holm

Veeam shows same date on all GFS copies?

Post by mrholm »

Hi
We have a lot of servers that previously was backuped in local sites and then we had backup copies to a central repository and saved the copies with GFS retentions. This works fine until the servers are being removed form the copy jobs and the job continue to run with other servers copied.

The servers that are removed form the job gets all GFS points in this year with same date, in properties for the job in Disk (copy):
1/23/2020 7:01:59 PM
This date is shown for all GFS restore points this year, for R, W and M retentions but GFS points older than this year and also the Y copy beginning of this year is shown with correct dates.

he same thing if I try t restore from the job it shows only restore points from this year as:
105 days ago (7:01:59 Thursday 1/23/2020)
starting with the Yearly copy and older correct dates are shown

Looking into Files in the repository it shows the correct dates for all files on the file names it self.

Is this by design and then why? As it is now I can't tell from which date a GFS copy is from in Veeam GUI

Sorry for not having anyu pictures to share but we are not allowed to share information in that way from our organization.

//Mats
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Veeam shows same date on all GFS copies?

Post by Gostev »

Hello, please include the support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Mats, do you mean that after removing the VM from the backup copy job, it still continues creating new GFS restore points for it, or just all previously existing GFS restore points start to be displayed with a different (wrong) date? Does this date somehow correlate with the time when the corresponding VM was removed from the job (like all the restore points before that are still displayed correctly)?
mrholm
Expert

Post by mrholm »

Hi
@Gostev, I haven't started any support case yet, was just reaching out to see if this was something expected. Will create it shortly.
@foogy, no Veeam is not creating new restore points it's existing GFS points that gets dispalyed wrongly. It seems to be correlated to the first M restore point. After this M point I still have 7 more M and some W restore points.
I will create a support case and see if we can sort it out,
mrholm
Expert

Post by mrholm » 1 person likes this post

So case submitted with some pictures as well, #04167397
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks, let's see what our engineers can come up with after reviewing the logs - looks unexpected.
mrholm
Expert

Post by mrholm »

from support they say it's by design. The reason for showing the same date on several restore points is that there's no diffenence between them so no added data. So that's why Veeam sees them all as the same point,
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I'd expect the same date for the points that contain the same VM state. However, if those contain VM states as of different months/weeks, the dates should be identified correctly.
mrholm
Expert

Post by mrholm »

Hi foggy
Yes I tyhink so to but that's not the case. All Restore Point sshow up with same date but the files it self contains the orginal dates
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Then this doesn't look as a by-design behavior to me. I'd let engineers investigate deeper.
mrholm
Expert

Post by mrholm »

foggy, I have updated the case with 3 files showing what I mean that even if Veeam doesn't think any data is changed between restore points it shouls till give me the dates from when the points are cretaed when showing in GUI and for restores