Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
c2nathan
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Nathan Gracie-Raitt

Estimating size requirements for repository split

Post by c2nathan »

I have an installation of VBO365 that has been protecting a tenant with ~ 100 users for almost a year now. Looking at the rate of data growth about 3 months in I realised that it was a dumb idea to have a single repository for all of the Mail + SharePoint + OneDrive data and after a bit of wrangling the necessary PowerShell script, have split that out so there's a repository for each data type.

That tidied things up a bit, but the email repository is heading north of 2TB and growing at a steady clip. Just when i was starting to think about maybe having the email repository split by creating a new repo for new incoming data by year, I got asked to carve it up by company within the group of companies that share this infrastructure.

So, I now need

a) to figure out how to dust off the trusty old Move-VBOEntityData command so that I can migrate all the data for {someuser@company_a.com} into their own repo.
b) iterate for the other ~50 or so users at 'Company A'
c) Figure out if it's more effective to migrate the remaining users into their own new repository, too, or if there's a utility to compress the JET Database used under the hood by VBO?
d) preferably, if it's possible, calculate the amount of data that is going to be moved into the 'Company A' repository ahead of time so I can allocate the right amount of storage (and right amount of associated cost) for Company A's useage.

I think I can handle 'a' and 'b' already, but if someone has script that they've written that accomplishes similar that they're happy to share, I'm always happy to not re-invent the wheel where possible. :wink:

For d) I see there's a commandlet that will measure the size of data 'in cloud' that would need to be protected if backing up a given organisation, but is there anything along the lines of a 'Measure-VBOEntityData' that could achieve this without having to actually go through the whole data migration exercise first? I'm wincing at the idea of doing this on a 2TB dataset, let alone some of the far larger datasets I know some of y'all have out there.

Thanks,
Nathan
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Estimating size requirements for repository split

Post by Mike Resseler »

Nathan,

From what you describe I assume you are not using the object storage repository, but the JET DB repository. The good news is that you probably do not have to do this as for each year, the repository will be split anyway. It is described here in detail: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=40
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Estimating size requirements for repository split

Post by nielsengelen »

a) There are a few community tools out there which can help (Data Manager (GitHub link) or the Data Migration Tool).
b) I think you can somewhat use the code from the previous examples and adjust to your needs
c) We advise to split Exchange, OneDrive and SharePoint data but as Mike said, it is per year so it may not be needed to go that far (unless u have a 50TB user? :-) )
d) This is not possible right now, the measure cmdlet will only output the info for all combined.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen