Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
lybrand
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: GS

Unable to use existing SQL server that is not part of domain

Post by lybrand »

Hi,

If I choose already existing SQL server to host Veeam Monitor database then there is some screw up in installation code which forces me to use DOMAINNAME\username account type and rewrites it during authentication as username@DOMAINNAME during authentication which is not valid since my SQL box is not part of domain and hence will fail in such case. This requirement (to have login in such fashion shall be removed or at least submit credentials in the way they are entered and not rewritten).

G
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Unable to use existing SQL server that is not part of domain

Post by Gostev »

Hello, currently we do not support of using existing SQL server that is not part of the domain, and this is not changing in the upcoming version 4.0 unfortunately. We may add support for such scenario in future, but at this time this feature has been an extremely uncommon requirement. Thank you.
lybrand
Novice

Post by lybrand »

But if I choose to install SQL 2005 as part of installation package, it'll work fine I'd bet?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it should work with local database (although we did not test such scenario). Please, let us know the results if you plan to try this.
lybrand
Novice

Post by lybrand »

Gostev wrote:Yes, it should work with local database (although we did not test such scenario). Please, let us know the results if you plan to try this.
I did not try it since I just realized that Veeam monitor requires Virtual Center to run which I don't have and don't plan to have.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

This is not the case - unlike with competitive solutions, Virtual Center is not required to use Veeam Monitor. Please let me know what piece of information made you think that Virtual Center is a requirement, since I'd like to address/fix this.
lybrand
Novice

Post by lybrand »

Gostev wrote:This is not the case - unlike with competitive solutions, Virtual Center is not required to use Veeam Monitor. Please let me know what piece of information made you think that Virtual Center is a requirement, since I'd like to address/fix this.
Hmmm. It's in every part of documentation. For example in "requirements" here (http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esx-server/ ... r_free.asp).
lybrand
Novice

Post by lybrand »

Gostev wrote:Yes, it should work with local database (although we did not test such scenario). Please, let us know the results if you plan to try this.
Just verified it works just fine on stand-alone host. Installation package shall be probably modified to allow to use existing SQL server without requirement to have it as a part of domain.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Thank you - I will have the system requirements updated to reflect that Virtual Center is optional.
This is the case with all Veeam products actually.
kirigoe
Lurker

Post by kirigoe »

lybrand wrote: Just verified it works just fine on stand-alone host. Installation package shall be probably modified to allow to use existing SQL server without requirement to have it as a part of domain.
How did you go about doing this? I think I've tried every possible combination of credentials and path to the sql server (local) with no luck. I don't really understand this limitation with the sql server needing a domain, the software itself (and vCenter too for that matter) is fully capable of functioning without an Active Directory.
lybrand
Novice

Post by lybrand »

I just choose to install SQL as part of installation (even though I already have SQL installed) and it works fine on stand alone box.
chrisw01
Lurker
Full Name: Christopher A. Williams

Post by chrisw01 »

I have a stand-alone box with vCenter already installed and already using a stand-alone version of SQL Server Express. There should at least be an option to use an existing stand-alone SQL instance so that we do not have to be a part of a domain to find it, or assume a risk of damaging the existing SQL Server instances because the product wants to re-install SQL Server Express.

Can we get clarification on this and update the installer accordingly?

I can not afford to damage my existing vCenter instance just to install this as an add-on. Should I just clone off another Windows Server 2K3 VM and dedicate it to this tool instead?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, that would be good solution.