Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gcousins
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Cousins

Backup/Restore Questions

Post by gcousins »

Quick question: If I run a full backup on Sunday with reverse incrementals on Monday to Saturday, and I want to restore Wednesday's backup which files do I need for the restore? Just Sunday and Wednesday or Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup/Restore Questions

Post by foggy »

Gary, if we are talking about reverse incrementals, then you always need the closest full created after the required Wednesday and all the .vrb's from this full back to the Wednesday.
gcousins
Novice

Post by gcousins »

Thanks Foggy,

I'm trying to get a handle on how often I need to do a full backup and whether reverse or forward incrementals are the way to go. I commit my .vrb files to tape once a month. Would I also need to do a full once a month and save that to tape also?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Depends solely on how often you need to drop backups to tape. If once a month is enough, than the above strategy is fine. Note that there is an Excel document that compares all backup modes in the sticky FAQ topic, might be helpful in making the decision.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please review Anton's reply in a parallel thread for the frequency of fulls considerations.
gcousins
Novice

Post by gcousins »

thanks guys.