Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
akraker
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andrew Kraker

Maintaining IP structure when spinning up recovered VM's off-site

Post by akraker »

I am struggling with the network setup in a situation where I would do a full site or partial site recovery to a Hyper-V server running in Azure. I See that Cloudconnect has a Network Extension Appliance that would work in a situation where I am using Cloudconnect, but I am not using cloudconnect for this setup.

My Environment:
On Premise: VBR server backing up locally and to Azure blob using a scale-out repository. This server also houses on-prem replicas but that is beyond the point.
Azure: VM running Hyper-V and VBR. VBR server connects to the same Azure blob in the same region to allow a quicker restore from the Azure blob

What is the best way to spin up these VM's with the same network IP's and allow communication to them from the on-prem environment while they are running in Azure? Meaning if a workstation in on-prem and pings a server IP it will route over a VPN and function as usual. Is it possible to use the Network Extension Appliance even though I am not using Cloud Connect? Maybe the Veeam PN product could work in this situation? Or maybe I just need to re-think this completely?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Maintaining IP structure when spinning up recovered VM's off-site

Post by PetrM »

Hi Andrew,

Network Extension Appliance is the component of Cloud Connect infrastructure and will not be available in your case.

I assume that Veeam PN would be an option for you, you may take a look at the list of supported scenarios.
One more idea is to use VPN Gateway from Azure to connect on-premises networks to Azure.

Thanks!
akraker
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andrew Kraker

Re: Maintaining IP structure when spinning up recovered VM's off-site

Post by akraker »

Thanks. I will check out Veeam PN again. I didn’t think it looked like it would do what I want.
I do have a BOVPN built to access Azure from on-prem but that is joining 2 separate subnets. I need something that can send the requests for an On-prem IP over a tunnel to the cloud virtual.