Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
davesharpfrc
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Sharp

Incremental Backup Processing Large Number Of Items

Post by davesharpfrc »

Ok, maybe I'm being a bit think here but we are currently running v4 Veeam Backup for Office 365 - we have slowly migrated approx 80-90 mailboxes over the last few weeks from Exchange on premises to Exchange online, with each batch I have been manually running an Office 365 backup to effectively "keep" up.

We migrated the last of the mailboxes last week and ever since I have been running a backup job every two hours during the working day and it has performed as expected, all of a suddent today, backup has run and it's taking ages, processing nearly 100,000 items as I write and approx 20GB of data transferred...

WTF?? This should just be a simple incremental backup probably no more than a few hundred MB and a few hundred items at most. What is going on? I did see something similar when I was running manual backups but just dismissed it. This now has me majorly concerned that every so often this is going to keep happening.

Any assistance please?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Incremental Backup Processing Large Number Of Items

Post by nielsengelen »

Hi Dave, this looks like something is going wrong. Do you run in hybrid mode between on-premises and online?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
davesharpfrc
Novice

Post by davesharpfrc »

Yes we are currently setup in a hybrid environment, but I didn't think this would affect it? As mentioned it's been backing up fine for the past few days and then all of a suddent today this has happened and nothing has changed (that I am aware of)
davesharpfrc
Novice

Post by davesharpfrc »

To note the organisation setup in Veeam is not set as hybrid - I'm not bothered about backing up on premises exchange using Veeam Office 365 backup as
1. All mailboxes now migrated
2. On premises Exchange is already protected by VBR 9.5 (x2 servers running as VM's on vSphere)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

@davesharpfrc
It doesn't seem normal. I would advise to create a support call. Please post the support case # here and the outcome after research of the engineers

Thanks
Mike