Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ftkalcevic
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Frank Tkalcevic

List all files and sizes in an archive

Post by ftkalcevic »

Can I list all the files and their sizes in an archive?

I ask this because my current incremental back up, is over 4GB, even if I haven't changed anything. I'd like to see what is getting picked up and review the backup configuration.

Thanks
Frank
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: List all files and sizes in an archive

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, you can click on "restore file" and then you see everything in c:\veeamflr\...

4GB sounds more or less normal for Windows if you do some reboots... I don't know how often you do backup and what your settings are (entire computer, volume, files).

I do backup every few days on my laptop and it's more than 4GB.

Best regards,
Hannes
ftkalcevic
Novice

Post by ftkalcevic »

Thanks for the replies.

My backup strategy is 1 full backup every week (about 85GB), and 3 incremental backups each day at midday, 6pm and midnight (3-5GB each). I backup c:\Documents and Settings, c:\Users and all my generated files on d:\ (source, images, cad files, etc)

These are scheduled tasks to run at the listed times.

I do have a c:\veeamflr directory, with nothing in it. I can't see a "Restore File" option on any of the context menus.

If I open the "Restore | Individual Files" from the task bar menu, I can see individual backup jobs, and the backed up directories, but when I list the contents of a directory it seems to show everything.

For example, I have a directory with filled with old .pdf files in it, creation date - 23/04/2016, modified date 25/03/2010 - they shouldn't appear in the incremental backup. I'm not sure if these are really backed up, or just place holders. That's why I asked if there was a way to view the files and sizes in a .vib file?

Thanks
Frank
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
especially as you are doing file based backup, your 4 GB sound okay to me with an overall amount of 85 GB

File based backup means, that if you change 1kb of a 100MB file, then that file will be backed up.

You need to start a restore before something is in c:\veeamflr (no matter which way you click the restore button as there are several ways to do that).

Yes, it displays everything. Because everything else would be pretty complicated to handle if you want to restore a full folder and files have changes over several days.

My idea was that you open two backups in parallel and then check with a 3rd party tool for the differences.

We only backup changes. But from a logical point of view, we always present a full backup to the user.

I recommend moving to block based backup. for the D:\ drive it's easy. for c:\ drive you need entire PC or operating system.

Best regards,
Hannes
ftkalcevic
Novice

Post by ftkalcevic »

So there is no way to list the contents of the backup file?

Since I control the list of directories and excluded unwanted files (*.obj and other development artifacts) 80GB and 4GB are way too large for what I was expecting. Maybe there is another file type I need to exclude, but it is hard to tell without listing the contents. Can I get a report of the files as the backup is being run?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Per default we do not backup files. We backup blocks. When backing up blocks, then showing blocks makes no sense.

Logging millions of filename to "somewhere" would also cost performance and disk space (a significant amount over time).

Best regards,
Hannes