Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
xcabur1
Lurker
Liked: never

Backup to BitLocker USB-Drive Failes altough automatic unlock is enable

Post by xcabur1 »

Hallo

I use Veeam Agent for Windows to create a system backup of a workstation to a BitLocker encrypted USB disk. The job is configured to run daily at 03:00 (at this time the workstation is not running), so the job is performed when ever the user starts the workstation in the morning. However, I get the following error although the Bitlocker drive is configured to unlock automatically.

Code: Select all

07.06.2020 12:48:04 :: Error: This drive is locked by BitLocker Drive Encryption. You must unlock this drive from Control Panel.
--tr:Error code: 0x80310000
--tr:FC: Failed to check whether file or folder 'S:\VeeamBackup\' exists.
--tr:Failed to call DoRpc. CmdName: [FcIsExists]. Error: This drive is locked by BitLocker Drive Encryption. You must unlock this drive from Control Panel.
If I run the job manually or schedule at a time when the user is still logged in, it works (the user works irregularly so a fixed time is not possible). I think it has to do with the fact that the job is executed at system startup before the user is logged in and the automatic unlock seems to run in the user context. Does anyone have an idea what I can do?

Backup Goal: 1 backup every 24h, if the workstation is running.

Best regards, fabian
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup to BitLocker USB-Drive Failes altough automatic unlock is enable

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

as you mention, bitlocker is unlocked by the user.

So the only way to solve it is to write to a destination, that is unlocked. One idea would be to use an non-encrypted partition and use the built-in Veeam encryption. By doing that, your backup is protected.

Best regards,
Hannes
xcabur1
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Backup to BitLocker USB-Drive Failes altough automatic unlock is enable

Post by xcabur1 »

Hi Hannes, thanks for your response
HannesK wrote: Jun 08, 2020 5:24 am One idea would be to use an non-encrypted partition and use the built-in Veeam encryption. By doing that, your backup is protected.
Yes, under these conditions it seems to be the only solution

Best regards, fabian