Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 61 times

Nutanix Snapshots in Home/Backups/Snapshots

Post by Didi7 »

Hi guys,

I noticed some orphaned snapshots of a VM, that has been deleted a couple of days ago and before the Nutanix AHV Plug-in has been installed within this test Veeam B&R server.

Now, I can see 4 restore points under Home/Backups/Snapshots under the registered Nutanix cluster, but this VM has been deleted a couple of days ago and now some orphaned snapshots are listed in VBR, because the name corresponds to a VM, that no longer exists.

Then, I thought, great! All kinds of Nutanix snapshots are listed under Home/Backups/Snapshots and decided to create a test snapshot on an existing Nutanix AHV VM in this cluster, but this one doesn't appear under Home/Backup/Snapshots, even if I close and reopen VBR.

Anyone can explain, why I can see orphaned snapshots of a long ago deleted VM and no snapshots from the newly created snapshot of an existing VM?

Thanks!
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 131 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: Nutanix Snapshots in Home/Backups/Snapshots

Post by ronnmartin61 »

Hey Didi, I'm not 100% certain what the refresh rate is between VBR and the source Nutanix cluster (it's definitely > 1.5 hours) but if you navigate to Inventory/Virtual Infrastructure/Nutanix AHV and rescan the cluster the new snapshot should then show...
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Hi ronnmartin61,

it did after I rescanned the cluster. Then I deleted a test-snapshot on a VM and did another rescan, but unfortunately the infrastructure rescan is still working since 4 hours (this test-environment is beyond of being very complex). The test-snapshot is still visible, probably because Infrastructure rescan is still working.

Even after a reboot of the VBR-server, the Infrastructure rescan is still working, as well as a Shell run, which tells me, that 1 add-in was found and that console extension AHV has been loaded and since then is still in progress.

The Infrastructure rescan task before took nearly 24 hours as well. Maybe, it has something to do with the no longer available Hyper-V server, which is part of another network and where those Test-VMs come from. Of course the Hyper-V server is unavailable now. Maybe I need to remove the Hyper-V server first, before I move to another network and do my test-restores of Hyper-V VMs to Nutanix AHV, which btw. seems to work perfectly the way, I like it and which I will document here as part of another thread. Removing disk-backups and re-importing Hyper-V disk-backups is mandatory of course.

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Ok, another update ...

I noticed in different environments and in different versions of VBR (v9.5.4.2866 and v10.0.0.4461 P2) two tasks under History/System, namely 'Infrastructure Rescan' and 'Shell run' that are mostly in 'Working' status during the whole day. Is this normal?

Doing a 'Rescan' in v9.5.4.2866 on a vCenter Server in Inventory/Virtual Infrastructure/VMware vSphere/vCenter Servers opens a new window called 'System' and a 'Success' status after a couple of seconds.

Doing a 'Rescan' in v10.0.0.4461 P2 on a Nutanix Cluster in Inventory/Virtual Infrastructure/Nutanix AHV opens no new window. Is this normal behavior?

New Nutanix Snapshots cannot be seen under Home/Backups/Snapshots. I will do a reboot of the Proxy Appliance and see what happens.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Ok, before the restart of the Nutanix AHV Proxy Appliance, I did a 'Rescan' in the Proxy Appliance under 'Manage AHV Cluster', which imports new snapshots and completes and suddenly the snapshot overview is updated in VBR as well. Strange!

Now, I will restart the Proxy Appliance, change some snapshots on VMs in the Nutanix cluster and see, if I can get the same result by rescanning the Nutanix cluster from VBR ...