Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
mazhar
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Reset completely without reinstalling

Post by mazhar »

I am testing Veeam on a Linux machine, using the free Linux agent. During my testing, some backups failed. I deleted the backup target data. Is there a way to reset the Veeam configuration or backup database or where ever it keeps tracks of backups? As of now, it warns me that "Backup is missing in repository" if I re-reun my test backup. I would rather not have to uninstall and reinstall the agent if possible. Thank you in advance for your help.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Reset completely without reinstalling

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Did you already try to create an active full backup? https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=40 - full backups do not depend on earlier backups (the backups you deleted)

I would not go for manual deletion of configuration files. Linux package managers are the better way from my experience (e.g "remove" vs. "purge" with apt). What is the problem with uninstall / reinstall?

Best regards,
Hannes
mazhar
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Re: Reset completely without reinstalling

Post by mazhar »

Thank HannesK, I did a full backup (twice) and both failed. First was an entire machine backup to local USB which failed due to a snapshot overflow error. Thinking this is likely due to the backup target being included in the backup, I attempted the second. The second was a volume level backup skipping over the target volume. This failed due to a an error flushing to disk.
I had manually deleted the target files of the first failure. When I launched the second is when I got the warning about "Backup is missing in repository" which is when I asked this question. I deleted the second backup using Veeam option "backup delete" with "--purge".