Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
syedzeeshan
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Syed Zeeshan Ali

Retention of backup options

Post by syedzeeshan »

Dear

I wanted to know if I create backup job with retention 7 restore points and select scale out repository blob will the backup on blob will expire after 7 restore points cycle ?

The retention for object storage is separate than local on repositories ?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Retention of backup options

Post by veremin »

There is no retention on object storage, source jobs that create restore points are still responsible for retention policy. So, when job retention kicks in, the restore points will be removed regardless of their current placement (on-prem repository or object storage one). Thanks!
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

The retention for object storage is separate than local on repositories ?
That would lead to a great extent of confusion considering scale-out repository tiering. That's why no lifecycle management rules should be natively enabled over object storage entities added to VBR infrastructure. Just policies controlled by VBR.
syedzeeshan
Influencer

Post by syedzeeshan »

Thanks guy for sharing but I found 1option on capacity tier scale out for immutable retention
and on aws 3 options are given for data consumption, immutable

I am little confused now if my performance tier which is on premises having 7 restore points

Same performance tier is added to scale out repository it will follow the same retention

How data aging job will run on azure blob do I have provide more access of same account so it can expire.

Pleasr advice
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, unfortunately you are very hard to understand. In any case, this is not a support forum and we're unable to guide you through the environment-specific setup here. So, please open a support case for further assistance with that, and hopefully they will be able to provide it in your native language. Our support engineers will also be able to do a webex as needed, which is much more efficient than exchange via forum posts. Thanks!
syedzeeshan
Influencer

Post by syedzeeshan »

Yes I am sharing production scenarios
I will look into the support platform aswell
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Thanks guy for sharing but I found 1option on capacity tier scale out for immutable retention
and on aws 3 options are given for data consumption, immutable
It's not recommended to configure immutability period shorter than job retention - you should protect only recent restore points with this feature.

However, even if configured otherwise (incorrect setup), retention won't remove immutable restore points from object storage - they will be located there for the duration of immutability period. Such point will not be visible within product UI, so you will need to use PowerShell to revert to them.

Thanks!