Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
desmond shio
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Shio Soon Chyuan

Veeam v6 Backup Proxy

Post by desmond shio »

Hi Guys,

Is good to know Veeam v6 is now have backup proxy and backup repository, i love this features!!! cannot wait to try it out! :D

Quick question here,
I have 2x IBM DS3512 SAN storage with HBA SAS
-1 is direct connect to ESXi host for VM production datastore.
-2 is use for backup repository

I wonder if using i Veeam direct SAN mode backup, where should i need to connect and attach SAN storage HBA SAS, If i separate out veeam backup server and backup proxy instead of using one server which i will use 2 server ( one for veeam backup server and second i use for backup proxy ) ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Veeam v6 Backup Proxy

Post by Gostev »

Hi,

Direct SAN access mode requirements are not changing with v6. So, requirements listed in the sticky v5 FAQ will still apply to whatever computer you plan to dedicate to v6 backup proxy server.

Also note that you can as well have all roles on the same server (backup server + proxy server + repository) if needed, this will give you v5 style deployment essentially - without any changes from what you are doing today.

Thanks.
desmond shio
Service Provider

Post by desmond shio »

Hi Gostev,

Noted with it and thanks for your quick reply :)

So how is the performance compare between all roles on the same server and separate roles on different server ? will performance remain the same or separate server is much better?

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you meet our recommended system requirements for the single backup server, then I would say it should be comparable.
desmond shio
Service Provider

Post by desmond shio »

Vitaliy/Gostev,

I will take noted on it, million thanks :)
Just tested Veeam v5 Direct SAN mode with 4gb FC IBM SAN storage, and backing up one of production VM with 600GB, it hits 300MB++ per/s :)
Took only 30min to finish full backup, quick happy with the result :)

I believe with veeam new backup proxy feature the performance will be much better than now :)

thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

desmond shio wrote:So how is the performance compare between all roles on the same server and separate roles on different server ? will performance remain the same or separate server is much better?
With FC4 and FC8 SANb the raw backup performance might be better with having everything on the same server (local or direct attached backup storage), unless you have 10Gb network. Remember that with remote repository, the proxy needs to transfer data to it over network. Albeit compressed and deduped, with 300MB/s plus data ingest rate your 1Gb LAN can become the bottleneck potentially.
desmond shio
Service Provider

Post by desmond shio »

Gostev,

I will take noted on this and Thanks :)
pizzim13
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by pizzim13 »

Gostev wrote: With FC4 and FC8 SANb the raw backup performance might be better with having everything on the same server (local or direct attached backup storage), unless you have 10Gb network. Remember that with remote repository, the proxy needs to transfer data to it over network. Albeit compressed and deduped, with 300MB/s plus data ingest rate your 1Gb LAN can become the bottleneck potentially.
If we choose to keep all parts of Veeam on the same server is it still possible to have the "single pane of glass" for management for multiple servers and have the shared database between them?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

"Having all parts of Veeam on the same server" does not mean that you need to have multiple Veeam servers. What I am talking about above, is having proxy and repository on the same server, so that the backup is LAN free. You can have multiple servers like that (proxy+repository) managed by a single Veeam Backup v6 server.

Nevertheless, answering your question, the "single pane of glass" for management for multiple Veeam Backup servers has been possible since v4 (this is exactly what our Enterprise Manager component is for). This is still useful capability in v6 in cases when you do need multiple Veeam Backup servers for reasons other than scalability (political, security, geographical etc.). In other words, the same reasons why most larger customers have more than one vCenter server deployed (despite amazing vCenter 4.1 scalability).

You can point multiple Veeam Backup servers to the same SQL Server, but they cannot share the same configuration database.