Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Fatboy40
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Clive Arnold

Only One Veeam Agent (Server Edition) Required, How to License It?

Post by Fatboy40 »

I've a one time situation that I need to deal with, take a backup of an off-site physical server to Cloud Connect, then restore this on-premise using Backup and Replication to a VMware cluster. This seems like a simple task to me, however I've no existing agent licensing so it appears that this may become messy?

Our on premise B&R server, running 9.5 U4, is licensed perpetualy by socket and we have a few on-premise agents connected to it now consuming instances. However, the physical server is off-premise and completely standalone so I've no method for it to be licensed by the on-premise B&R instance (and installing any sort of VPN client onto the remote physical server will introduce a risk that I cannot accept).

What would be ideal would be to purchase just a single Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows, Server Edition, license but this is no longer possible due to the introduction of VUL licensing. I do not wish to convert our socket based B&R licensing to VUL, so if I wish to obtain just a single Server Edition agent am I stuck with buying a whole seperate VUL license for the minimum amount?

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2293 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Only One Veeam Agent (Server Edition) Required, How to License It?

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

There is one option, if you don't want to convert your license:
Rent a license from a registered Veeam Service Provider (Your Veeam Cloud Connect Provider should have such a pricing model)
They can give you a single License for 1 Server Agent on monthly rental basis.

Direct Restore of "Veeam Agent Backup" to "VmWare" will not be possible with builtin Tools of Veeam V10:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=40
You can't do an "Instant VM Recovery" from Cloud Connect Storage. You have to download the backup data first to your Veeam B&R onpremise Backup Repo.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Clive,

Additionally you can install Veeam B&R v10 (it should have some gifted instances in addition to your socket license) and then create a dedicated backup job for this agent with Cloud Connect set as a target. With v10 you can create the backup configuration for managed by agent job type with Cloud Connect as a target (in such case agent does not require connection to the Veeam B&R server all the time). Cheers!
Fatboy40
Influencer

Post by Fatboy40 »

Mildur wrote: Jun 15, 2020 10:54 am There is one option, if you don't want to convert your license:
Rent a license from a registered Veeam Service Provider (Your Veeam Cloud Connect Provider should have such a pricing model)
They can give you a single License for 1 Server Agent on monthly rental basis.
Thanks, I didn't know that was possible.

I'm trialing Cloud Connect with OVH, however I don't see an option on their site to rent an agent license,so I'll have to contact them about this.
Fatboy40
Influencer

Post by Fatboy40 »

Dima P. wrote: Jun 15, 2020 11:08 am Hello Clive,

Additionally you can install Veeam B&R v10 (it should have some gifted instances in addition to your socket license) and then create a dedicated backup job for this agent with Cloud Connect set as a target. With v10 you can create the backup configuration for managed by agent job type with Cloud Connect as a target (in such case agent does not require connection to the Veeam B&R server all the time). Cheers!
And this is possible with the agent being on a total separate physical machine that is not on the same network as the B&R server, and which also has no VPN connection to it? How do I license the agent using this method?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Clive,

Such setup would require agent to be connected with Veeam B&R server at least once to deploy such agent and upload the needed job configuration. If direct connection is not possible, then you can stick with standalone deployment suggested by Mildur.