Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
Quadrophenia65
Novice
Liked: never

File Backup Job - increments are way bigger than the data changed on the source

Post by Quadrophenia65 »

Hi there,
I am just using the File Backup in Version 10 for the first tim and I have realized that the size of the backuped data is a couple of times bigger than the actual data changed on the source.

- Is this by design? (If yes, I'd like to know why, just out of interest)
- is this a configuration error on my side?

Thanks!
Dirk
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: File Backup Job - increments are way bigger than the data changed on the source

Post by foggy »

Hi Dirk, any chance some sort of deduplication is used on the source system?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: File Backup Job - increments are way bigger than the data changed on the source

Post by Gostev »

During each run, NAS backup will only pick up changed files. If you believe that some file was picked up erroneously (without having any changes), you can always do a file-level recovery to extract and compare the current and the previous versions of the file in question, and review what were the changes. If it's a binary format, then you can use the FC command line tool in Windows. Thanks!
Quadrophenia65
Novice

Post by Quadrophenia65 »

foggy wrote: Jun 18, 2020 11:44 am Hi Dirk, any chance some sort of deduplication is used on the source system?
Hi foggy - the source is an VMWare VM and the file tree is basically one Disc hung onto this Windows VM. Could that cause this isue?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Could be related if all the files were modified since your full backup. Can you compare the actual size of restore points by going to Backup node and checking the backup properties? Cheers!
Quadrophenia65
Novice

Post by Quadrophenia65 »

Thanks.

The file backup properties doesn't show the size, just name and date :-(
And the "normal" - old backup which is done backing the whole virtual disk doing incrementals for 45 days. These restore points are very small - like 1 GB, as the NAS Backup transferred for the same day about 60 GB.

I will do some checks as Gostev suggested, but I guess the real test would be not to "play" with stuff, which I can't control ;-) (Like doing 2 different backup strategies on the same folder tree and wondering ;-)
Thanks to all - I guess we can close this thread from my point of view. I will open an support case if I do have trouble in the "real world"