Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Sizing

Post by lowlander »

Hi,

https://rps.dewin.me/
https://vse.veeambp.com/

both great tools however I quite don't understand the used size in GB entry. When importing rvtools data into vse it is noted that the values of the provisioned space in RVtools are used for calculation.

When using the rps I guess we need to use the value of used space of virtual machines from RVtools.

Is there a difference / why is there a difference ?
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Re: Sizing

Post by tdewin »

GB seemed like the lowest usage an SMB customer could have e.g smaller customers might have 3300GB. If the calculation would be done on bytes, for humans, it is not easy to enter a value manually

FYI, If you enter 15T or 1P and you go to the next field, it will convert it to GB.
lowlander
Service Provider

Post by lowlander »

Hi,

Agree, however I was referring to the value of this field ;) When using RVtools you can use the first vInfo information after scanning vcenter. In this sheet there is a column Provisioned and a column In use. In short : do we need to use the provisioned space or do we need to use the 'in use' column for the rps ?

Reason asking this is that the vse.veeambp.com is referring to the possibility to upload a rvtools output and the column provisioned is being used ;)
tdewin
Veeam Software

Post by tdewin »

Well personally I would also assume used instead of provisioned but I brought the discussion to our Solution Archtitects that are in charge of the BP part
lowlander
Service Provider

Post by lowlander »

I agree with used space, and was confused of the new vse calculator ;)

https://www.veeambp.com/repository_serv ... ing_sizing

Just reading the best practices I will asume use space is the way the go, translating the example calculations.

Thanks !
edxh
Veeam Software
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Edward Howard

Post by edxh » 1 person likes this post

Hi there, a decision was made for the v1 release to use Provisioned capacity to ensure the estimate would meet all requirements. However, your feedback has been noted and the tool will be updated shortly changing it over to Used.

All the best.
lowlander
Service Provider

Post by lowlander »

@tdewin, configuring a backup job with GFS retention policy enabled looks like a cool feature ! will it be integrated in the RPS or are there other ways to simulate this ?
tdewin
Veeam Software

Post by tdewin »

Well my first objective is to add cloud storage. Need to spend some time on this to catch up