Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lostbackups
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

question about backup job's retention policy restore points vs days (not having to calculate?)

Post by lostbackups »

I am confused about this. In the past when setting up backup jobs, I would go by restore points. So if I wanted 2 weeks retention (14 days) and I wanted to have the job run once a day (specified in the Schedule section), then I would have 14 restore points. If I want to run the job twice a day, I would have to have 28 restore points. So you can see the calculation would change depending on both the retention and the job frequency numbers specified.

Now, while creating a new job, I saw in the Storage tab that under Retention policy, I can choose either "restore points" or "days". If I choose days instead of restore points then go to Schedule and have the job run periodically every 2 hours, would Veeam do the math on the restore points for me, both now and in the future? This would make changing the retention a lot easier because I could always maintain 2 weeks retention while adjusting the job run frequency.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: question about backup job's retention policy restore points vs days (not having to calculate?)

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Your understanding is correct:
User Guide wrote:Keep restore points created during the last N days, where N is the specified number of days.
Thanks!