Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
apetersen
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Allan Petersen

Satisfied customers

Post by apetersen »

Hello,

We have around 300TB of Office365 data more less equally split between Exchange, OneDrive and SharePoint/Teams. I am terrified that the transfer rate due to MS throttling is going to make it impossible to complete daily backups and the initial full will take forever.

Anyone around who is dealing with that kind of data and have positive or negative experiences to share?

Thank you
Allan
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Satisfied customers

Post by ejenner » 1 person likes this post

I guess the question would be... what choice do you have? We've recently setup o365 backup but not sure how much data we have. Only at proof of concept stage. It did seem quite slow on an initial run of 10 mailboxes... but like I say, what are your other options? It's MS choking it.

Personally I'm dead against this o365 'revolution' but Microsoft are pushing customers to it. As always... they tell us what they want us to do. This time by not making available multi-factor authentication for on-prem Exchange... if you want MFA then you have to have Exchange online.

Maybe others can be more reassuring but I can't. It works fine... seems as slow as you fear, not the fault of the software obviously.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey,

@ejenner The issue that you are experiences is actually ONLY 10 mailboxes (I know, sounds crazy...). We have a mechanism inside to avoid (as good as possible) throttled mailboxes. What we (simply stated, it is a little bit more advanced ;-)) do is, once we detect that the mailbox is throttled, we pause backup for that one. And we jump to the next one. Once we went through the entire list, normally, the first throttled mailbox is clear again, and we start back there... And so on. So basically, only 10 mailboxes is less effective for the mechanism then 100 or so... Makes sense?
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Allan,

There're ways to speed up the first full, such as in Mike's example above for Exchange. For SharePoint/OneDrive, throttling can be minimized by using additional backup accounts. Also, there's no need to transfer all the 300TB with a single job, but instead create different jobs for different types of data (or configure it even more granular).

Check out this collection of recommendations on how to better design and plan for your backup.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Post by ejenner »

Mike Resseler wrote: Jun 23, 2020 11:40 am Hey,

@ejenner The issue that you are experiences is actually ONLY 10 mailboxes (I know, sounds crazy...). We have a mechanism inside to avoid (as good as possible) throttled mailboxes. What we (simply stated, it is a little bit more advanced ;-)) do is, once we detect that the mailbox is throttled, we pause backup for that one. And we jump to the next one. Once we went through the entire list, normally, the first throttled mailbox is clear again, and we start back there... And so on. So basically, only 10 mailboxes is less effective for the mechanism then 100 or so... Makes sense?
Even if the software is compensating for throttling (which I wasn't aware of... but cool feature!) the overall write speed back to the repository shows you how slow the whole thing is.