Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
isaez
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ivan Saez Scheihing

Veeam RMAN plugin high cpu usage

Post by isaez »

Hi,

We have Oracle 12c db's on a Linux and backup the db's with the rman v10 plugin. It seems the plugin is using lots of cpu and that causes our Oracle Cloud Control agent to restart which in consequence cause the rman backup to fail, Cloud Control reports "Step aborted because agent went down". I did create a ticket with Oracle and this was their conclusion:

Conclusion: Other processes are consuming the CPU and Memory resources leaving EM Agent with no resources for it to run smooth. Since the response is delayed due to resources, Agent restarts itself.

Solution: Investigate the problematic(resource hungry) processes that appear to be oracle database related and either optimise them or increase resources on respective host.

I can reduce the number of rman channels (is 4) to see if that helps to reduce the cpu usage. But the backup will take longer. Is there a way to throtle the cpu in the rman plugin?

regards,

Ivan
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam RMAN plugin high cpu usage

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Most of CPU consumption comes from compression and encryption.

Do you use any traffic encryption rules or public IPs on the Plug-in Server or on the Repository Server?

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi,

There is no CPU throttling in the RMAN plug-in. You may try to make a couple of test runs with disabled compression in order to see if it helps to decrease CPU consumption.

Please make sure that Veeam compression is disabled by running the following command:

Code: Select all

OracleRMANConfigTool --show-config
One more thing to check is that BACKUP command itself does not produce compressed backup sets.

Thanks!
isaez
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ivan Saez Scheihing

Post by isaez »

Ptide, Petrm,

Yes, compression was enabled. I've disabled it and tomorrow I'll be able to see if the cpu usage went down without compression. Thanks. I'll let you know guys.

regards,

Ivan