Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jjbr
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Julio Villarreal

Scheduling Issues and Full daily B2T Issues with GFS

Post by jjbr »

Good afternoon,

I'm facing some issues with B2T and GFS Tape Media Pool.

Daily backups are forward incremental with synthetic full created on Saturdays (30 days retention).
I have a GFS Tape Media Pool configured for daily (14 days), weekly (Saturday - 4 weeks) and monthly b2t (First Sunday - 12 months).
I already have a full monthly backup on my media set.

First, I defined the "Perfom GFS scan daily at" for 2:30 am but once I save the job the "Next run" column shows a random time (for some jobs it was 10 pm and for others it was 11 am).
I need it to run only at a specified moment because I have multiple backups running during the day but I only want to send the last one to tape.

Second, I only want to send incremental backups to daily tapes. But I noticed Veeam synthetizing a full backup for the daily media set and I cannot have that (not enought tapes :-( ). Should I force run a weekly?

Thank you very much for your time.
jjbr
Novice

Re: Scheduling Issues and Full daily B2T Issues with GFS

Post by jjbr »

"Second, I only want to send incremental backups to daily tapes. But I noticed Veeam synthetizing a full backup for the daily media set and I cannot have that (not enought tapes :-( ). Should I force run a weekly?"

I did that and now incrementals are being sent to tape, as expected.

Now I'm only left with the first part: how to make the copy to tape on GFS to only run on specific time.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Julio,
"Second, I only want to send incremental backups to daily tapes. But I noticed Veeam synthetizing a full backup for the daily media set and I cannot have that (not enought tapes :-( ). Should I force run a weekly?" I did that and now incrementals are being sent to tape, as expected.
Glad you nailed it! Daily media set cannot keep incremental without first full backup, so if you have not perfromed backup to an elder set full backup will be stored in the daily to ensure the data consistency.
Now I'm only left with the first part: how to make the copy to tape on GFS to only run on specific time.
GFS tape job starts at the time defined in the UI and awaits for the new restore points till the end of the day. You can define when such job should kick in.
jjbr
Novice

Post by jjbr »

I think that quite solves it.

I have an issue with the scheduler since I have some jobs with multiple backups per day and the tape job does not allow for multiple scheduling or triggering after another job (since its GFS based).

I tried creating a batch script to run the tape job after each backup but ran into some issues (but I'll open another post for it).

Thank you very much everyone for your attention.