Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
scottf99
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Scott

Restore all emails

Post by scottf99 »

Hi.
I have an repository (azure) that is set to 7yr Item-Level retention. I am pretty sure I understand how this works but am confused with restores. Each backup is still a reflection of that day right so if I restore or export a mailbox from a certain day I will get the contents of the mailbox on that day. How do I restore ALL emails that have ever been backed up for that mailbox over the 7yrs?

Thanks
Scott
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Restore all emails

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Scott,

I would need to verify that, but it is a specific case. Can you explain why this is necessary? Purely from a compliance or legal reason we have never received this request.

Thanks
Mike
scottf99
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Scott

Post by scottf99 »

Hi. I was hoping I could use the VBO backups as an alternative to Legislative Hold (in a way). If I backed up every day I would capture most emails, only miss those that are deleted and then purged in the same day. This means pretty much all of the email for that user are in the repository "somewhere". If a legal matter arose, lets say a year after the user had left, I would still have 6yrs of email for that user in the repository assume they worked here for 7yrs. It would be good to be able to export all of the emails for that user in a single process.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hmmm,

I might be wrong, but in the case of a legal matter, you will need to search for specifics, and not deliver all that email. The more you deliver, the more... (well, you know_
Strela_1
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Olivier Vandebroucke

Post by Strela_1 » 1 person likes this post

Still, I'm glad Veeam Backup exists and has that function... It didn't allow me to find ancient data from years ago (as we've only recently started using VBO at work) but a manipulation issue had led to the deletion of 2 months' worth of work and contacts regarding the insurance of several villas in Athens, and we managed to restore all of them, simply and quickly, without a single missed one, in a matter of minutes. Without it, we'd have had to redo a significant part of that work...