Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jaseliu
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jason Liu

How do I create job that backup to my storage first then to my tape library?

Post by jaseliu »

Hi, I am a bit confuse about the process, but this is what I think I should do.

Create a primary backup job to my dedup storage.
Create a backup copy job for this.

Then I point a tape job to this backup copy job everyday? this is the part I am lost.
How would I write my incremental and weekly full backup into the tape, do I just backup the "backup copy job" ?

Thanks for the help!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: How do I create job that backup to my storage first then to my tape library?

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
the first thing should be to use a normal storage instead of a dedupe appliance. Inline dedupe appliances (except Exagrid with their landing zone) are usually very slow for read speed which makes it painful for tape jobs. I recommend this discussion: post368308.html#p368308

second: if you want to go from your primary backup storage to your tape library, then the "backup to tape" job is the way to go: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Backup copy jobs are doing copies disk-to-disk

Best regards,
Hannes
jaseliu
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jason Liu

Re: How do I create job that backup to my storage first then to my tape library?

Post by jaseliu »

Thanks for the links!

The problem that I am running into is I am not sure how to setup all these, like the sequence of it.

Currently I have my VMs going to my storagecraft oneblox, perhap, I should make that go into a nas first, then secondary location would be oneblox dedupe storage.
But whenever I start a tape job based on the this backup, I would get Timed out waiting for running source jobs to complete (180 min)
Essentially since going from the storage to tape is taking too long to complete the job, so my thought was to create a back copy job, and tell tape to backup that job, so it would never get interrupted.
Does that sounds right?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

hmm, I don't think that additional backup copy jobs make it a system that makes you happy. As you mention, there is a performance issue.

So if backup performance is slow, then restore performance will also be slow. Personally I don't worry about backup too much. I focus on restore :-)

I suggest to re-design and do primary backup to a normal server with REFS. From there you can go to dedupe appliances and tape.