Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
danstr1
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel

Backup for Office 365 Space Requirements

Post by danstr1 »

I'm new to the O365 backup solution. I'm in the midst of performing the initial setup. My intent is to backup O365 to the cloud. My backup server doesn't have sufficient space to support both the local server backups and O365. Before performing any O365 backups, I fear the hard drive space limitations on my local server where Veeam O365 is installed may pose an issue. My question is, if I have 1 TB of data being backed up from O365 that's destined to the cloud (iLand), does that means I also have to have 1 TB of free space on my local machine where VEEAM O365 is performing the backup? Or, and I hope this is the answer, does VEEAM O365 just use the server as a proxy by seeding the data to the cloud as it's processed so the space limitations shouldn't pose an issue?

Thanks in advance! - Dan
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backup for Office 365 Space Requirements

Post by Mike Resseler »

Dan,

Before we start with the sizing. Can you explain what you want to do with the cloud? Because cloud connect technology does not exists for VBO
danstr1
Novice

Post by danstr1 »

The cloud is being used specifically for storage only.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Yes, but are we talking about Azure blob storage, AWS S3 or S3-compatible? I might be a bit confused with that you mention iLand
danstr1
Novice

Post by danstr1 »

That I can't answer. iLand is the cloud storage provider I also use for my Veeam backups. Again, this is specifically for offsite storage only for backup and restore purposes. I assumed if Veeam Backup & Replication supported the storage that likewise the O365 Veeam product would as well. Veeam O365 would be installed on my local server that would use the cloud as its backup repository. I can say that the regular Veeam Backup & Replication does not have local space requirements (or none worth noting) when backing up directly to the cloud. I'm hoping that the O365 works similarly. Hope that helps clarify. I'm not well versed on the topic so hoping I'm explaining correctly.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Best would be to contact iLand around their VBO365 offerings. I presume you use Cloud Connect within VBR but that is not exactly the same within VBO365. We don't know all their services either so working with them will be quicker. If you send data to Object Storage directly to them, there won't be any data stored localy.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen