Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
selva
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Selva Nair

Editions and licensing for small setups

Post by selva »

While looking at upgrading a tiny setup from the so-called "community" edition to Starter or Essentials, I had a tough time deciphering the difference between versions. Does "Essentials" support scale-out backup repo? -- if not is there a way to get backups copied to object storage without having to go for an enterprise edition?

There is a lot of info online on editions and comparison but none clear enough nor use consistent terminology: Universal licensing page shows Starter, Essentials, VBR and Availability Suite, on clicking see full comparison comes up a table of Community, Starter and VBR with no Essentials, the pdf linked into that page has a newer set of names: Community, Standard, Enterprise and Enterprise Plus.

Based on a footnote it seems "Essentials" is a kind of "Standard" -- but the latter doesn't have SureBackup, the former is supposed to have it.

And, the online license calculator gives different results from what I have read here in some forum threads: as per the calculator, one license is consumed per each protected server, one license per three workstations, once license per VM, one per 250GB of NAS data. What I read here is three licenses per server, one each for a workstation or a VM. Is the calculator up to date?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2287 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Editions and licensing for small setups

Post by Mildur »

VUL Standard has the feature Set of „Veeam B&R Standard“
VUL Essentials has the feature Set of „Veeam B&R Enterprise Plus“

I recommend to go with VUL Essentials, this way you have all the features (SOBR, SureBackup)

3 instances per server is old and was changed last october 2019 to 1 instance/vul per Server
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
selva
Enthusiast

Post by selva »

Aha, "Enterprise plus feature set" -- that's keyword I missed to register in spite of going through this umpteen times. Thanks.
selva
Enthusiast

Post by selva »

Hmm.. I got trial license online, but the trial is for Veeam Availability Suite, not specifically for Essentials. Now veeam.com/licensing-policty.html has "Veeam Cloud Connect for the Enterprise" listed under Availability Suite, but not under Essentials.

Looks like I will have to just buy Essentials in good faith and hope SOBR and SureBackup will work. And an agent told me that Essentials come in standard, enterprise and enterprise-plus flavours if bought from a VCSP. Sigh...

In contrast, setting up Veeam and using it is a such a pleasant experience.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2287 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

There are socket licenses and vul licenses

Vul essentials comes with Enterprise Plus. (Subscription Model)
With Veeam Socket Essentials Licenses, you will have to choose between the three editions. (Perpertual Model)

Please call a sales representative. They need to go over your requirements with you and sell you the correct license for your needs.

„Veeam Cloud Connect for the Enterprise“ is something else, which you don‘t need for your purposes.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software