Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
wane
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Walter Neu

SOBR - operational restore window

Post by wane »

I have a question about the operational restore window when configuring the capacity tier in move mode.
If I write backups with the policy forever forward incremental with weekly active full and a retention of 14 days I have the following situation according to the restore point simulator:

20 (14) Full
19 (14)
18 (14)
17 (14)
16 (14)
15 (14)
13 Full
6 Full

I would now like to move the last inactive backup chain to S3. Is then the value for days within operational restore window 13?

If I set the value to 0, will all inactive chains be moved, in my case the backup chains after day 6?

Many thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SOBR - operational restore window

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

First of all, you're running simple forward incremental, not forever forward incremental as you have periodic fulls enabled. With these settings, the number of restore points you will have on disk will depend on the particular day of the week and will be something between 14 and 21 due to how retention works for forward incremental backups. The operational window setting depends on what part of this chain do you want to keep on the Performance Tier. If you need just a week worth of backups, set it to 7 and everything beyond the latest (active) part of the chain (full + 6 increments) will be offloaded. If you need to be able to quickly restore from the last 14 restore points, set it to 14 - in this case, only the latest part of the chain will be moved. With "0" value inactive backup chains will be offloaded on the same day they are created (i.e. when the new active full is performed).
wane
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Walter Neu

Post by wane »

Thanks for your explanation. And of course you're right, it's through the fulls a simple forward chain, my mistake.

Just for comprehension:
That means if I want exactly 14 days of restore points, I turn the restore points to 8 with the following result:

14 (8) FULL
13 (8)
12 (8)
11 (8)
10 (8)
9 (8)
7 FULL

and sets operational restore window to 7. Then 1-7 on the Performance Tier will be kept and 8-14 should be moved, right?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

No, in this case the restore points will be removed, not moved, because job retention policy still controls number of restore points stored.

So, to achieve what you want you need to keep current retention scheme (14, I believe) and set operational restore window to 7.

Thanks!