Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Kevil-LTU
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Hill

Test Restore of Clustered File Server?

Post by Kevil-LTU »

Hi there,

We have a requirement to run a DR test for our environment, and our clustered windows file server has been selected as a system to restore. We are running Veeam 10.

I am attempting to restore into a 'sandbox' VLAN whilst the live systems are still on and running. I have other 'normal' VMs that I can either restore or 'instant recover' to run the test, but I cant figure out how to test the cluster.

Cluster details:
2 x Server 2016 Hosts
1 x File Server Role
4 x iSCSI cluster disks

When I run 'instant recovery' I can get the host back, but not the iscsi cluster disks. I can browse all of the drives and data with "Restore guest files" so i know the data is in there.
How do I restore the file server role and its disks in an 'original' state without creating a new cluster and restoring the data in from outside?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Test Restore of Clustered File Server?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, Instant Recovery to VMware / Hyper-V for Agents skips cluster disks. Cluster disks are hard (I don't want to say "impossible" as it might be easier with vSphere 7) to "instant recover".

The way to do a test restore is "bare metal restore". If you do that in an isolated network, then the cluster will not become "green", because there is no domain controller. So you could think about adding a Domain controller do your sandbox.

Best regards,
Hannes
Kevil-LTU
Novice

Post by Kevil-LTU »

Thanks Hannes, not that answer I really wanted, but at least I have an option.

I guess it will have to be a 'single-node' restore, as the restored cluster disks wont be iscsi I presume, they'll be vmdks? I wouldnt be able to connect the iscsi network as the restored VM would attempt to connect to the live disks.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

as the restored cluster disks wont be iscsi I presume
that depends on how you do the bare metal restore. If you restore to iSCSI, then it will be iSCSI. Same for all other protocols. For VMDK, there are different options for different vSphere versions. If you search the internet for your vsphere version, then it will give answers how to create virtual clusters. With vSphere 7 it should be the easiest way.

Note: I'm really talking about bare metal restore (booting from ISO). I'm not talking about export to VMDK or any other VM related options.

Best regards,
Hannes
Kevil-LTU
Novice

Post by Kevil-LTU »

Thanks Hannes, I think the issue here is that we are using Windows to manage the iSCSI disks, not VMware, so I can't restore the disks as the connection wont exist until there is a VM to manage it.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

yes, a restore test requires that the restore environment is very similar to the production environment.

I use virtual storages that present iSCSI LUNs to VMs. I think that would represent your production pretty close.