Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 251 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Checkpoint names

Post by Cragdoo »

Hello

I know VBR creates snapshots in VMware with the name "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT" , so I was wondering/expecting Hyper-V to do the same ...but appears not

Code: Select all

VMName          Name                                  SnapshotType       CreationTime                             ParentSnapshotName
------          ----                                  ------------       ------------                             ------------------
TEST-VM1        TEST-VM1 - (29/06/2020 - 06:30:11)    Recovery           29/06/2020  06:30:17

Is this expected? Makes checkpoint admin a little more difficult. The VMware way lets us know at a quick glance. Any chance this could be added/amended?
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Checkpoint names

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Craig,

Could you please clarify VBR and Hyper-V versions?
We cannot manage the checkpoint file name working with Hyper-V version 2012 R2.
It's done by design.

For Hyper-V versions starting from 2016 (and VBR v10) the checkpoint files will be created with the following file name mask:
"Veeam Recovery Checkpoint (<job id+timestamp>)".

We don't have any options to change this file name mask, but I believe it's clear for the admins on the newest versions.

Thanks!
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 251 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Re: Checkpoint names

Post by Cragdoo »

Hi

The hyper-v cluster I'm dealing with at the moment is 2016 datacenter edition. And we're still on VBR 9.5 4 .....that's what it will be