Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
system-eu
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Vincent Cassauwers

best practice for backup to ONEDRIVE

Post by system-eu »

Hi everyone

A few months ago we were still happily backing up our users pc's to a local VEEAM repository.
But since March all users were required to work from home with VPN connection...
Veeam still attempted to backup to the repository but heavily impacting the VPN bandwidth.
So we had to stop all backup jobs. Back then, everyone believed it was only temporarily.

However every day it seems more likely Home Office will be the new default.
So, every user has 1 TB of quota on their OneDrive Business account and the SSDs in the pcs are only 256GB so
backing up to OneDrive seems like the way to go here.

Now I am not judging upload speeds here.
But there is one major showblocker.
After a while the client starts merging the backups, and this proces just never ever ends.
I wonder if this might be caused due to me using incorrect (just the default) settings.

What would be the best settings to use for backing up to OneDrive so the backups are actually functional?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: best practice for backup to ONEDRIVE

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Vincent,

Can you please clarify if you are backing up the entire machine to OneDrive or you are protecting several files? Cheers!
system-eu
Novice

Post by system-eu »

Hi Dima

not sure what you mean by protect several files as there is only one option in the VEEAM client for backing up to OneDrive which is Volume Level Backup.
So far so good... but after a while we noticed backups to start the MERGING action which seems to be stuck at 51 ~54% forever.
There are no actual errors but the merging action takes so long that it overlaps the next scheduled backup job.
system-eu
Novice

Post by system-eu »

Anyone any tips? tricks?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Vincent,

Sorry for the delay. You can use file level backup mode with OneDrive set as a target (do not select volumes, pick folders instead). Since there is no way to make upload speed better due to OneDrive throttling logic, so I'd say the best way is to optimize the performance is to limit the amount of data to protect. Cheers!