Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
anthony.quepons
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony Quepons

VTL tape corralation from VBR to AWS

Post by anthony.quepons »

Does anybody know how to correlate the VTL tapes that are created in AWS to what is imported into the Libraray on the VBR side? Example. I created 10 VTL tapes in AWS, then imported the tapes into the VBR tape library. They come over as Tape 1 thru 10. How do I know what tape 3 maps to what VTL in AWS? In the AWS side the tapes are called VTL23423 etc etc. But there are no identifiers or slot or device details on both ends. Thank you for your help.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: VTL tape corralation from VBR to AWS

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Anthony.
Instead of tape "correlation" task I would start by checking why Veeam could not retrieve existing tape barcodes(names like "Tape NN" means tape driver\tape device could not give us requested info and we started automatic naming instead), as it would solve entire case for now and in the future, when you will be adding new tapes.
Please, verify is medium changer type is "AWS-Gateway-VTL" and correct driver is installed on Veeam Tape Server of choice.
/Thanks!
anthony.quepons
Novice

The media changer type is set to WS-Gateway-VTL and I am using the Sony 500 driver on my windows 2012r2 server but still no luck getting veeam to read the barcodes that AWS VTL creates.
Now Veeam Support told me to change the Media changer STK-L700 on the aws storage vtl gateway, then install a sun/storagetek driver on the windows 2012r2 server but the issue the OS never finds a driver, not can I find the driver manually on oracles site or any site.
Any further advice is welcome.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Anthony,

With STK-L700 windows driver is not required, it could be registered as Unknown Medium Changer in the Windows Device Manager while from Veeam B&R perspective you need to make sure that the checkbox to use native scsi commands is checked in the library properties.

anthony.quepons
Novice

Having the option checked with STK-L700 or Aws VTL , makes no difference. The barcodes
do not come over..Veeam VBR still seeing the tapes as tape 1,23....etc etc
Your screenshot looks like you are using a Physical Drive tape library...We have a HP MSL G3 Series 7.0 and it works fine.
Trying to get this working with AWS VTL virtual tapes
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Hey Anthony,

If you're looking for the StorageTek drivers, for windows 2016 it's right there in the Update Catalog.

2012R2 maybe just isn't smart enough to find it?

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/storagegate ... vices.html

But anyways, it's right there on Amazon's VTL site on how to get the drivers from the Update Catalog site. The 2008 ones should prolly work for 2012 I suppose.

It's for DPM, sure, but still, drivers should just be there.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks Harvey!

Anthony, please raise a case with our support folks and let them check your setup. I bet that should be pretty quick. Cheers!
anthony.quepons
Novice

Thank you guys... The fix indeed was to change the storage medium type AWS to STK-L700 and then use a 64bit Sun/Tek driver that are 19k in size on the MS driver catalog site.
Thank you for all the help again. The barcodes are now being emulated from AWS back to VEEAM VBR 10.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Thanks for update.
We will update guidelines to align with current drive type preference.
/Cheers!