Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
hklassen
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Heinrich Klassen

V10 RTM don't work with External Repository with Azure

Post by hklassen »

Hello together,

today i want to test the new RTM Version for us as Partner.
The installation is working well, but when i want to configure a new external repository with Microsoft Azure,
i cannot create an new folder in the blob container. The button is missing and i cannot see any subfolder in the blob container for select.

Has anyone test it before?
I want to test the new feature for backup copy jobs direct to azure blob.

thank you and best regards,

Heinrich Klassen
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: V10 RTM don't work with External Repository with Azure

Post by wishr »

Hi Heinrich,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums

Capacity Tier that is a part of Scale-Out Backup Repository (SOBR) is probably what you are looking for. It allows you to move (v9.5 Update 4 functionality) or copy (v10 functionality) backups from Performance Tier of SOBR to Azure Blob storage. This is done via automated "offload jobs", according to the capacity tier configuration. Copy jobs are not needed in this scenario.

External Repository is designed for restoring and copying backups made with Veeam Backup for AWS and Veeam Backup for Azure.

Thanks
hklassen
Novice

Post by hklassen »

Hi,

thank you for the info.
But in v10 you can in external Repository Azure Blob for Restore and backup copy jobs.

Is the function not working now?

Heinrich
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

External Repository is for when you leverage Veeam Backup for AWS (available right now) or Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure (coming later this year). If you want to add Azure Blob storage, you will have to leverage SOBR.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

You can only use External Repository as a source for backup copy jobs, as mentioned in the UI. For copying your data to object storage you should use Capacity Tier of SOBR.

Thanks
hklassen
Novice

Post by hklassen »

ok, then i will test it with copy in capacity tier.
i was wondering to see the config screen so i think i will be works .. it's a RTM version, or?

Thanks
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Could you please clarify your question? Thanks in advance.
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

This is normal behavior and will be the same in GA. External repository is used (as described directly in the screenshot you have provided) to connect to buckets populated by our cloud-native backup solutions for Azure IaaS and AWS EC2. While integration of VBR with Azure Blob or AWS S3 storage is done via scale-out backup repository Capacity Tier.
hklassen
Novice

Post by hklassen »

I mean that the functions that are available in the RTM version should be work, or not?
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

If you encounter a bug you can always contact support to see if it is a bug or expected behavior.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

In general, all the features in any version that we mark as RTM are expected to work with no issues since they all have been verified by our QC team. But as Niels said, if you face something strange you can always directly reach out to our support team to get help.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

What's funny here is that this exact question was extremely common with U4, so I specifically took time in v10 to very clearly describe on this dashboard below what this functionality is used for... but, looks like it made zero difference - people are still having the same question! Not even sure what else can be done :(
DavidAmerica
Lurker

Post by DavidAmerica »

I' have been using Veeam Availability 10 the moment it releases to GA level. I followed Veeam's technical guide closely in to create a mapping to an Azure blob that I have been using for months. For testing purpose, encryption of backup data is not used, and anonymous access is allowed at all levels of container and folder. Veeam can see the root container, but will not enumerating any folder below the container. Even with the most relaxed permission, Veeam Available 10 still does not work with the mapping feature to an External Repository in Azure. This is disappointing, because we should be able to access a Azure blob hot-tier, for recovery in the event that we lost the datacenter, or the entire on-prem Veeam backup infrastructure.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

You should not be using the External Repository functionality for such recovery scenarios to start with. This functionality serves totally different purpose, which is already explained above in the second post of this thread.

To import backups made by Veeam Backup & Replication from object storage in a disaster scenario, you should use Add Backup Repository > Object Storage functionality instead. Once you register the repository, you will be able to import backups from it, and perform the restore.