Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Mavz11
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Manuel Espartero

Backup to AWS_VTL Glacier tapes offline how to make it online

Post by Mavz11 »

I have backup to AWS_VTL Glacier as monthly archiving. All my tapes are showing offline and when I check AWS console tapes status are archive.
In media operation I click check box "Eject Media upon Completion". Further reading, this brings the tape to go offline (correct me if I am wrong). Tapes has still have a lot of free space. How can I make the tape online so that it will be usable on my next backup to tape run?
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Backup to AWS_VTL Glacier tapes offline how to make it online

Post by soncscy »

Hey Manuel,

This is by design for AWS -- the ejection event combined with the export media event is what actually ends up triggering the archive (the export specifically)

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/storagegate ... chive-tape

As I understand it with VTLs, trying to max out tapes makes no sense -- just add more tapes. Since you're billed at total data stored/retrieved and not per tape, there's not much sense in trying to max out a given tape -- it's just a logical container for data after all. As I get it from the pricing page: https://aws.amazon.com/storagegateway/pricing/

Whether you have 10 TB on 5 tapes or 5000, it's the same cost for you in the end. I know the gateways have some built-in limits, but they're fairly high, and you can just throw more vCarts at it.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

soncscy is right - there is no way to send import command from Veeam B&R to the Amazon shelf to bring back the tape. Regarding virtual tape organization I'd agree - there is no reason to make tape smaller size. Cheers!
Mavz11
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Manuel Espartero

Post by Mavz11 »

Thanks all, understand now. That's a lot of help. Thanks