Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
SteveHeller
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Steve Heller

Question regarding retention policies

Post by SteveHeller »

Hello all

I have a question regarding the retention policy in File Share backups.
When using VM-based backups it's pretty simple: when I set to keep 10 restore points, I have 10 restore points containing all files that were on the source at this given backup point.
But when using File Share backups and setting the retention policy to 30 days: What happens to a file that has not been modified in the last 30 days? Will it be excluded from the backup on day 31 even if it's still on the source?

I am asking because with Veeam Backup for Office 365 there seems to be a file-level retention policy where items older than set retention are no more included in the backup - even if they still exist on the source.

So what I am asking basically: will the retention policy exclude data from the backup even if it is still on the source?

Thank you for your help and best regards.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Question regarding retention policies

Post by Gostev »

Hello,

Latest version of all active files (those still present in the source file share) will remain in backup even if they are not being modified, including past the specified backup retention policy. Keeping them is the only way to make a restore of the entire file share possible.

Please note that Veeam Backup for Office 365 provides two different retention modes. One acts more like an archive where documents are kept for the specific time only, but not longer. This is important for organizations who don't want to keep their documents for longer than they are legally required to. However, you can also configure VBO365 to use the same retention approach as image-based backups.

Thanks!
SteveHeller
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Steve Heller

Re: Question regarding retention policies

Post by SteveHeller »

Dear Gostev

Thank you for your reply. This resolves my question - thread can be locked.

Thanks again and best regards, Steve