Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kkrell
Lurker
Liked: never

Backup copy & reverse incremental Backup

Post by kkrell »

I have a question about the BackupCopy function.

I have a VM with 400 restore point for a daily backup (reverse incremental).
In order to set up an off-side backup and save on-side storage, I would like to have a backup copy job that had 30 restore points daily and monthly, annual copies using the GFS principle. Also decreasign the on-side restore points to a lower number like 30.
Unfortunately, the BackupCopy job starts with the current date and ignores the last 30 days where backups already exist.

Is there any way to seed the? Otherwise I would have to wait over a year until I can delete the existing 400 RestorePoints.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backup copy & reverse incremental Backup

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The purpose of backup copy is to transfer an actual VM state to a secondary repository.
If the backup chain is created in the reverse incremental backup method, backup copy processes data blocks of the full backup as it contains an actual state.

Maybe you could try to consider Capacity Tier and move policy if you wanted to gain some space on the primary repository:
all the .vrb files starting from the third restore point will be considered inactive automatically.

Thanks!
kkrell
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by kkrell »

Thank you for your answer. I will definitely look at the possibility of expanding the storage with your suggestion.

But in order to have a usable backup offsite, the backup copy is necessary, because simply moving the vrbs would not help in an emergency. Or do I oversee something here?

My plan in mind is, that i keep 30 Points OnSite and use the storage offsite with GFS for long term storage.
What do you think about that?

Best wishes and a nice day
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,
kkrell wrote:My plan in mind is, that i keep 30 Points OnSite and use the storage offsite with GFS for long term storage.
I think this is the perfect plan!

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

What Petr has suggested doesn't contradict to your plan. He just says that the backup copy job will not copy over older restore points as it syncs just the latest VM state. To keep the older points he suggests using Capacity Tier's move policy, please review the links provided in his post to get acquainted with the technology behind that and understand the outcome. Otherwise, you would just need to wait until the backup copy job reaches the required retention and then lower the retention on your backup job to comply with the new policy.