Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
saeed_bashir
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Muhammad Saeed

GFS Tape job very slow

Post by saeed_bashir »

Already have a support ticket opened with Veeam Case #04264107 but unforuntaley only getting generic replies.

We have just bought a ML3 tape libraray and configured our first GFS offiste backup, its an LTO8 tape drive.

Backup server is a physical server connected to libraray and its internal disks are the backup repository for onsite backups.

We have QNAP NAS connected directly to this physical server which is a repository for our copy backup jobs from other sites.

I have created a one Tape job including all backup copy jobs and onsite job of the site where the libraray is.

The throughput is aroun 20 to 30 mbs, I am just banging my head to understand why it is so slow.

During the backup window I can see that some time through put went up to 250 mbs as well but that for may be couple of housr and after that its just hovering around 30 mbs, this is givng us so much pain as the whole point of moving data to tapes over weekend is not possible, its aroun 29 TB of data.

Kindly can some shed some light on this behaviour, is this normal, how about other users are they getting same throguhput with GFS jobs.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: GFS Tape job very slow

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Muhammad,

What Veeam B&R you are using?
The throughput is aroun 20 to 30 mbs, I am just banging my head to understand why it is so slow.
Can you clarify where tape library component is installed?
What is the bottleneck for this job according to the job stats? Thanks!
saeed_bashir
Influencer

Post by saeed_bashir »

Ho Dima,

Its Veeam 9.5 update 4

Its is on the same physical server which is my Veeam server and onstie repository for that studios backups.
saeed_bashir
Influencer

Post by saeed_bashir »

Also my tape jobs show deduplication alos, I thought there is no deduplication for tape jobs, just had a 200 GB vm but shows backup size 18 GB on the tape with dedupliation and compression, even though I have disabled the compression on teh Veeam tape job.
saeed_bashir
Influencer

Post by saeed_bashir »

The bottleneck is soruce 98 percent..
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Muhammad,

Thank you for sharing the updates! Can you please check what is set to be a gateway server for your NAS repository? Is this role is enabled on the same machine with backup server and tape server roles?