Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Wocka
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Warwick Ferguson

Restore Guest Files - Cannot find path

Post by Wocka »

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is a V10 issue or not. I used to be able to do this in V9.5 about 10 months ago.

I have a standalone B&R Server (Win 2012) that I have upgraded to V10 in a workgroup. Not Domain joined, IP = 192.168.10.10
I have a Standalone Server (Win 2012) in a workgroup. Not Domain joined, IP = 192.168.10.20

I used to be able to restore via "Guest Files Restore" on the B&R server and restore using Copy to: Preserve permissions and ownership to a network share on the remote server.
I would map a drive to the destination server, eg: x: = \\192.169.10.20\d$ I would place in the administrator password.
I can connect the network drive ok, I can browse and create/edit/delete files through Windows Explorer without issue.

When I attempt to do the restore via Veeam Guest Files Restore get the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.
Failed to create or open file.
[\\?\X:\Data\Notes\mail\xxxxx.nsf].
Failed to create file [\\?\X:\Data\Notes\mail\xxxxx.nsf].

I can open the files via Open in Explorer and drag'n'drop between two Windows Explorer screens, the files copy perfectly.

Everything I google tells me it's a permission issue to the remote share, yet through Windows Explorer I have full permissions.
Am I doing something wrong or has something changed?

Thank you
Warwick
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2895 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Restore Guest Files - Cannot find path

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I can confirm the behavior you see. It works fine for me with U4b and I get exactly the same error message you get.

I have an idea why it happens, but I need to check for a workaround.

Best regards,
Hannes
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
unfortunately, you ran into a bug (ID 214328 ). The Windows Explorer workaround is currently the only way I see.

Best regards,
Hannes
Sockeye63
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ernest Salmon

Post by Sockeye63 »

Hello,
Is there a planned fix for this bug?
I am experiencing the same error message when attempting to Restore Guest Folders via "Copy to" from the Restore process.
I can copy single files but not the folders.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Ernest,

Sure, it is scheduled for delivery in the next product versions. I would recommend raising a support case with our engineers to stay updated on the availability of the fix.

Thanks
Marcio Muniz
Lurker
Full Name: Marcio Muniz

Post by Marcio Muniz »

I'm having the same problem to restore to a shared folder and after the update, I also can't restore two folders from the same mount point (flr).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Marcio, as mentioned above, this is a known issue that is planned for addressing in one of the future updates.
Schmoo
Novice
Full Name: Craig Austin

Post by Schmoo »

So the bottom line here is you can't do a proper redirected file level restore? Can someone expand on what "future updates" means? To me this should be near the top of the bug list. Using Windows Explorer isn't a good workaround as it still doesn't support long paths.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

chances are there, that the fix makes it into the next update (10a which is around the corner)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Craig, the bottom line is you cannot redirect a restore to a share that is mapped as a drive (only this use case is affected). Hannes is correct, this issue is fixed in the very next Veeam B&R update coming soon, please stay tuned. Thanks!
Schmoo
Novice
Full Name: Craig Austin

Post by Schmoo »

Sorry to be dense but this comment: "Hi Craig, the bottom line is you cannot redirect a restore to a share that is mapped as a drive (only this use case is affected)" <- can you clarify? Does that imply there is another way to redirect a restore or are you referring to using Explorer to copy which doesn't work in my case.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

That implies you can use the Copy To command to redirect the restore to any local location, for example. The issue above applies to the targets (CIFS shares located on remote servers) mapped as drives in Windows Explorer.