Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
francd01
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dan France

Restore Sharepoint List Items - Attachments have no History/versioning

Post by francd01 »

Hi,

I have a situation where by a list item has the wrong file attachment to it as a user has changed the attachment. I removed this attachment in sharepoint and went through our files to fine the original document we attached which we could not find.
Whilst searching for this file Veeam had done another backup of our Office 365

I decided to use Veeam for Sharepoint however the previous versions all have the attachments missing.

This would suggest that Veeam does not backup the history of attachments??

Background
We attach documents to lists after a task is completed so a list item has a field which the user changes "Attachment Status". When this a list item is created it will
stay on "Attachment Status" = Awaiting when the user attaches the document they will change to it 'attached'.. I had a look at another list item which had the documents attached in Veeam Sharepoint explorer and click history where i could see the previous version of this list item when it was on status "Attachment Status" = Awaiting and this showed an attachment against it was the same documents when it was was on status attached. Also check few more to see if this was user errors.. Does attachments work differently?
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Restore Sharepoint List Items - Attachments have no History/versioning

Post by Polina »

Hi Dan and welcome to Veeam forums!

The history of add/removal changes applied to a list is not available in Veeam Explorer. Version history is supported for a document/file that is stored and edited within O365, but it's a bit different story.
Files attached to lists are associated with those lists and stored correspondingly in backups. In each restore point, you'll see a list with its attachments that were present at the time of backup. For earlier versions, you'll need to explore corresponding earlier restore points. Makes sense?

Thanks!
francd01
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dan France

Post by francd01 »

If i understand correctly Veeam Explorer. i need to look restore from a point in time not the latest backup point not use Version history feature
My setup is that Veeam will connect to our office 365 tenant every 30mins and backup up incremental.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

That's correct, to see the list's state at the given date/time you need to select a specific point in time when browsing backup in Veeam Explorer.