Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
humannate
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nate Cartwright

*Please* make the default to auto-update license information automatically

Post by humannate »

There seems to be an issue where the "Update license automatically" checkbox is unchecking itself for multiple instances of 9.5u4 for us.

We have specific notes during maintenance to check the status of this checkbox, and for multiple sites it keeps getting unchecked. This isn't what this post is about, however.

The fact that this checkbox is not checked by default is kind of a problem (especially for subscription licenses!), as it's not even listed in the license install wizard and is easy to miss as it's *way* down at the bottom of the screen. This should be checked by default, and should be a step within the license install wizard so it's not missed.

Also, when the box gets unchecked and there is a subscription license installed, while there is a notice in the B&R console, there's nothing in the backup job emails that indicates you have a time-bomb on your hands. Only when it finally expires and you have failing backups is there anything in the email.

Finally, why is there even a checkbox for this, shouldn't this just be enabled, period?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: *Please* make the default to auto-update license information automatically

Post by Gostev »

Since this check box makes the product send our clients' data to Veeam servers, opt-in is required for legal reasons.

I suppose we could throw a message box when Subscription or Rental license is installed, to draw user's attention to this option, and offer to enable it automatically.

However, this won't help if the checkbox "keeps getting unchecked" as you say? Not sure what's up with that, we'll take a closer look at this.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The license autoupdate checkbox gets unchecked, only

* if the license has expired more that month ago
* and license autoupdate has not found a new license to download during this period

Can you tell us whether this is the case?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Oops, veremin beat me by 1 minute, but I'm still posting this, as my response is a bit more elaborate ;)

So we looked at the logic and this functionality can indeed disable itself, however it seems legit as it will only happen if both of the following is true:
1. The current license has expired and the grace period of 31 days has passed (at which point the installation is dead).
2. License auto-update was not able to download the updated license during the grace period of 31 days.
I believe it is logical to disable license auto-update at this point, to prevent dead installations from keep "knocking" into our update servers. Do you agree?

As far as the backup job emails, we confirmed that we already add "SUPPORT EXPIRED" in the beginning of subject line during the grace period (31 days following a Subscription license expiration).

Based on that, the only change we're planning to make is to offer a user to automatically enable license auto-update whenever a Subscription license is installed. But do let us know if we're missing something.