Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Transferring "ownership" of agent protection group and licensing

Post by backupquestions »

Hello,

I have 2 veeam servers v10 latest patches. I was backing up some physical servers via agent managed jobs. This is using licensing of course and the protection group is owned by veeam server 1.

Now I want veeam server 2 to take over backing up these physical servers. I created the same protection group on veeam server 2 and when it scans, it tells me how veeam server 1 already manages them. (understandably)

So,

1. I want to make sure the licenses are "released" from veeam server 1. What is the exact thing that triggers the licenses to no longer be consumed?
2. Is the proper method here to just use the veeam B&R UI to "uninstall agent" from each physical server and then scan again on the second veeam server which will re install the agent? I was just looking for a cleaner way where it was not necessary to uninstall the agent since the other veeam server will be using the same thing... But if this is required to release ownership and licensing that is fine.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Transferring "ownership" of agent protection group and licensing

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Alabaster,
1. Hit Revoke in the license management window on VBR01 to free up agent licenses.
2. [edited] It is best to remove agents on VBR1 and re-add them again via VBR2, so 2nd server can take over.
/Cheers!
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Post by backupquestions »

Hi Egor,

Thank you! Will do this. I assume the registry entry goes on the VBR02 server, not VBR01 correct? I must then restart veeam services, or I've heard I can just wait 15 min and it will auto catch the settings?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

I have discussed the case with QA and it will be best to just follow standard "remove on VBR1, add on VBR2" practice. Although regkey exists and works just fine, it must be handled with care to be safe. So let's just stick to the initial plan with removal on VBR1 and re-add on VBR2.
/Thanks!