Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
fazzauk
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Authentication Mode Change

Post by fazzauk »

Question for the admin,
When changing the authentication mode for VBR database to use sa do you also have to change the authentication mode for VeeamOne, Veeam Monitor database?

case reference 04264806
Maxim Karganov
Influencer
Liked: 6 times

Re: Authentication Mode Change

Post by Maxim Karganov »

Hello Fazzauk,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums!

Even if you enable SA login the previous authentication mode remains active so no additional changes are necessary. Please refer to here for more information. Thanks.
fazzauk
Influencer

Post by fazzauk »

Thank you,

Just to confirm VeeamOne and Veeam monitor will continue to work even after changing to sa on the VBR database?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Provided you are following the procedure described in the Microsoft article Maxim linked above, no issues are expected, as you are not disabling the Windows authentication mode itself, but rather just enable sa login via SQL Server authentication which is, in turn, not recommended following security best practices. Hope it helps!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In short, VBR authentication to the database has no effect on Veeam ONE settings. Thanks!
fazzauk
Influencer

Post by fazzauk »

thank you gents,

I understand now thank you, just one more question.
We are undertaking reviewing the upgrade path to v10 and as prerequisites there must be approx 25% free space on SQL express.
We have two site and currently;

Site A SQL Express Size
VBR 1.59GB
VeeamOne 8.70GB

Site B SQL Express Size
VBR 691mb
VeeamOne 9.36GB

So we need to more to SQL standard before upgrading to v10 but :) sa is not enabled my question enabling sa on the VBR is straightforward using this guide https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/da ... rver-ver15 but I assume I need to enable sa on Veeamone and Veeam monitor also ? if this is correct what is the process ?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

When you enable sa on a SQL server the change applies on the database engine layer, to the whole server, not some particular databases. But I'm not sure if it's really needed in your particular situation. Usually, sa access is disabled due to security concerns.

You should just follow the common SQL server edition upgrade procedure for each SQL server you would like to get upgraded. Just make sure you have stopped all Veeam services before the SQL edition upgrade and have a recent backup of the SQL servers, just in case. Once the upgrade is done, simply restart the Veeam ONE servers or start the services manually.

Also, that article may be helpful.

Thanks